can a person with only partial use of his non dominant hand still be a EMT

Quattro08

Forum Ride Along
like the title states. looking for a career change. and am really interested in going through EMT school. talked to the instructor at the school I will be attending and he thinks I will be fine. but my worry is that he cares more about recruiting enough people to get funding than actually thinking I am capable of doing this. in short here is the story: while working at a motorcycle shop and went to test a bike I was hit by a truck which dissected my carotid artery and had a stroke on my right side of the brain. Im right hand dominant so I live a pretty normal life besides having lost some use of my left hand. would say the left hand came back close to around 80%. whats your take on this? you think Im capable of doing this job or should I look for something else?
Thank you.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It depends on if you can pass the preemploynent physical. If you can lift and carry without issue, you should be fine.

blindsideflank

Forum Lieutenant
Perhaps our best nurse has hands that I believe are a result of thalidomide. One hand basically has fingers the size of toes and the other has less. He functions very well in the ER, including starting IV's etc.
But I agree, lifting would be my biggest concern. Although 80% for some is still far above many peoples 100%

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I had a student once with almost no use of her non-dominate hand. She was a good student, but definitely had some difficulties. She made it through and is currently employed as an ED Tech. I don't know if she ever applied for an ambulance or not, though I would imagine lifting a stretcher would be difficult, if not impossible for her.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
As long as you can work the controls of the gurney and start and iv/handle meds you should be fine. I would imagine "80%" of function is good enough (depending on which 20% you lost).