Campus / Community based EMS

Hi everyone,

I'm part of a group at my university, trying to start up a campus-based EMS. We are making good progress, but I was just curious if anyone else on this forum was part of a campus-based or a community based EMS.

Just in example, UCLA has an EMS program which is dedicated to the service of the campus and its immediate surroundings. We are trying to establish the same.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-c

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Have you talked to NCEMSF?
spacer.gif
They have a lot of resources for people trying to start campus-based EMS organizations.

OP
OP
O
Ooh.

Gold mine! Thanks! I'm definitely going to be lurking there as well...starting...now. =)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Something you can do right away...

Build "organic response capability" to medical emergencies by promoting 1st aid training and indoctrination, getting and posting choking and CPR instructions, getting students to make and carry first aid kits, and lobby/pettition for EMT classes in the curriculum. Start a CERT program. You can start these without huge $ outlay, parlay successes into funding and having more credence with admninistration, and don't require medical control. You can get dozens of trained and indoctrinated people out there.
You may find campus security has EMS as part of their job.

Whatever you do, if it isn't fun, cheap and/or grant you college credits, it is doomed.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Build good relations with whoever currently covers your university, if possible, and make sure you get the support of the university itself. A lot of campus organizations have had trouble getting started because they'll be taking calls away from a local service, especially if they're the community's biggest source of calls.

I've been part of one campus EMS and seen a bunch more. PM me if you want.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I was looking into a Campus EMS system for my college. But the FD is literally, across the street. The only big thing they have going against them is, they don't know the campus as well as the students do. So, I'll have to look into it. Heck, I'd settle for a Campus first responder system.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I was looking into a Campus EMS system for my college. But the FD is literally, across the street. The only big thing they have going against them is, they don't know the campus as well as the students do. So, I'll have to look into it. Heck, I'd settle for a Campus first responder system.

I know a school that has fire right across the street too. Their agreement is that campus EMS can show up and stabilize until fire gets there. I'm not sure how worthwhile that is, but it's been around for awhile.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I know a school that has fire right across the street too. Their agreement is that campus EMS can show up and stabilize until fire gets there. I'm not sure how worthwhile that is, but it's been around for awhile.

I have a lot more information to get before I can think about it.
Things like, how fast their response time it, what kind of medical training the university PD has, and how many medical incidents occur on campus.

OP
OP
O

This is EXACTLY what we are aiming to do. The Fire Department is pretty much around the corner, but we are looking to stabilize the patient with a response time of less than 5 minutes.

Also, the medic units that respond can take as little as 5 or as long as 20 minutes to arrive (depending on how many are in service, and how far spread they are around the county).

I have a lot more information to get before I can think about it.
Things like, how fast their response time it, what kind of medical training the university PD has, and how many medical incidents occur on campus.

Our university police department is trained as first responders, hence why we would want to respond at one level above, BLS.

Last edited by a moderator:

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Do you want ambulance or quick response service? Would you mind telling us what school?