Campus Based EMS

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
This is going to be a long one.

Here's the situation:
My university, of 20,000+ undergraduates, 4,000+ graduate students, and unknown professors/staff, is currently served by our city's FD and a private company that has a partnership with said FD. Our campus currently has approximately 300-400 emergency calls for a year.

Current response times are around 6:30 for engines, and 8:30 for ambulances. with a few red flags where chest pain calls got 10-15min response times. The main reasoning for this is the station that serves our area does not house its own ambulance, rather a "floater" ambulance responds. Also this FD station serves a busy area and has great potential to be on another call.

Myself and other EMT-students are looking to form a campus based services that is staffed by student-EMTs, with 1 FT manager.

Our campus police department (which currently receives all 911 calls in the area, traiges, and calls the FD dispatch) is set up in manner which would incorporate us well. Everyone agrees the service would be great, the only concern is what type of service we should offer.

The choices are a Quick Response (non-transport) or BLS transport.

Quick Response: Some are in favor of a non-transport service that would only look to minimize response time as well as assess and package pts for ALS. This meets the basic goal of the program to lower response times, but I'm not sure what it really offers. They are currently looking at using golf carts, but our campus is sprawled over a large area ( a cross campus cart response could take 6-7 minutes, thats with out weaving through pedestrians) which might not even beat the engine on scene. On the other hand, the carts give us easy access to inner areas. We could also have a converted SUV that could respond getting to most areas within a couple minutes, but is it worth spending that much money on vehicle that can't transport.

BLS Transport: This would be the ideal plan. We would be dispatched to all medical calls coming into police dispatch. On those triaged as BLS we would respond alone for transport or non-transport assistance, for those deemed ALS or possibly ALS we would respond, and Fire and ALS would be called as they are now. When on scene after an ALS assessment the pt could be transported by us if deemed stable (and no Rx needed) or by them. In MCIs we could steal a medic off the engine and transport. But the question is whether our low call volume campus deserves this much attention. Also this system is obviously much more expensive and more complex to operate. Is it too much to try to start this kind of system form scratch? Is it necessary to start with the quick response service?

I see the benefits and costs of both systems. I want your opinions of what you feel would better aid the FD and be beneficial to the students. I want to establish a good working relationship with the FD, and I feel that this is will only happen if 1) our service is organized in a respectable manner 2) Our EMTs are well trained (this is already going to be taken care of). I don't want to be those college kids in the golf cart just viewed as an annoyance on scene.

Any thoughts?

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
I know there are other colleges that already have a student EMS response. I would contact some of those services and get an idea what they are doing. You might get some good ideas or perhaps a solution that you haven't thought of yet.

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I know there are other colleges that already have a student EMS response. I would contact some of those services and get an idea what they are doing. You might get some good ideas or perhaps a solution that you haven't thought of yet.

We've been exploring campuses in our state. One of our main regional examples would be UCLA. Their system is BLS transport and it functions extremely well even generating revenue for them. They do offer a wealth of experience and information which we have looked at.

But our campus is different in many ways, by region, call volume, different county protocols, and the fact that in LA they have EMT-D a slightly extended scope I believe.

We have researched both the BLS transport and QRS extensively. They both exist at different campuses across the nation. I am interested to see what you guys think about the two options. If this was your community, what would you prefer to see? Which do you feel has more benefits given the described situation?

Scottpre

Forum Crew Member
Campus EMS

How supportive is the local FD? Depending on how much influence they have on local policy and decisions with the University, they could be the make or break factor in such a program.

Also, where would the funding for such a program originate from?

Scott P. CEM, EMT-B

Seattle, WA

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I am holding off on talking to the FD until I have a more formal idea of organization, but I do plan on talking to them very soon to get their opinion on the matter. I just have yet to write up formal presentations on the two different options that I can present to them, and I want to wait until we are truly organized before jumping in.

Do to the funding crisis in the UC system, our funding will rely on a referendum to increase student fees by $1-4, the amount depends on which system we decide to pursue. Polls we have conducted show students are willing to pay this increase for the benefits of the system.

I am also concerned that the private ambulance partner that provides the ALS ambulances might be resistant to us having a BLS transport, because they could potentially lose money for transporting patients. But its my understanding that our campus has the right to choose as it sees fit, and I believe that us transporting at a much lower cost will appeal to our administration due to the fact that a majority of our students carry campus insurance. This is something that will have to be felt out with as it goes.

Overall I believe that if our campus administration is on board 100%, they have enough weight to influence the fire side. Don't quote me on this though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaybro713

Forum Probie
I like the idea of campus based EMS. At my University it got shot down but I am a member of the National Collegiate Emergency Medical Services Foundation and I recommend that you check out their website. They have tons of information on how to get started up as well as there is a regional coordinator who can come and help you and your University set up a system that works.

The website is www.ncemsf.org. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
ncemsf.org has a ton of resources, and you should contact them and let them advise.

It will be very hard to get funding for BLS transport. Start off slowly and get support for your students and administrators. QRS and event standby are probably the best bet to start off with.
I would discuss more, but I have an exam in 30 minutes. Crunch time.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Why did you bump?

PM sent. I have a whole bunch of ideas, and cautions for you, before you start.

Thanks,

Dan

mct601

RN/NRP
I currently commute to a community college, and our campus has absolutely no kind of medical staff on-site. Other CCs in the area have school clinics/nurses, but we do not. I wasn't able to see it, but a girl had a possible cervical spine injury at one of our pep rallies and no precautions or anything was taken. She was allowed to walk around by the bystanders until the ambulance (15min response time) got there, luckily there was no major damage to her vertebrae. If our call volume was higher I'd recommend at least one EMS staff/volunteer on campus at all times but they wouldn't listen to me due the fact that they wouldn't see justification in the cost of supplies and keeping someone around.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Mind posting them here for us to see? :)

I invited the OP to speak to me by phone, but gave a little background via PM.

Essentially, I think developing a campus based EMS service is an excellent idea, but you need to get some basics down first. Before beginning an endeavor like this, you need the support of several important bodies. First meet with the chief of campus police, then a university administrator (Dean, VP for campus operations, or the like), then the FD that serves you. Be prepared for the private ambulance to be against your proposal, because it means less $$ for them.

I'd be willing to speak with others by phone, if interested. I am not an absolute expert, but believe my experience on my own campus, and experience troubleshooting with friends at other colleges has given me a toolbox that may be beneficial to the OP.

Dan

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Search strings

;) .....................

nea1

Forum Ride Along
I'm part of a campus based EMS program right now. We participate in a first responder capacity, but we have intermediates that act as ALS and as supervisors. The entire program is student run and works really well. I think that running an ambulance is a big responsibility and not that practical when you have people who can stabilize the patient until transport gets there. I don't know how big your campus is but you should probably think about the burden of having an ambulance is, not just how cool it would be.

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
at ucsb, we have our own ambulance, but it grew out of necessity. once upon a time back when AMR came to santa barbara county there were a few places they said they would not cover, one of which was isla vista. so ucsb started its own program to account for the lack of service out at ucsb/isla vista. its an ALS service, with permanently employed paramedics, plus EMTs that go to school at ucsb. they run out of one of the county fire stations

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I'm part of a campus based EMS program right now. We participate in a first responder capacity, but we have intermediates that act as ALS and as supervisors. The entire program is student run and works really well. I think that running an ambulance is a big responsibility and not that practical when you have people who can stabilize the patient until transport gets there. I don't know how big your campus is but you should probably think about the burden of having an ambulance is, not just how cool it would be.

After mulling this over and over in my own mind and with others, including the departments to be involved, it seems that a first responder capacity the most realistic goal.

There are other dynamics to the situation that I failed to foresee. Including money for transported patients, as well as a general opinion that the system in place is plenty sufficient.

Nea1, Do you utilize fly cars/suvs? What is your average response time, and the average response time of your transporting unit?

General question to anyone out there: Do you feel that an improvement on response times from 6-10 minutes down to 2-3 minutes warrants the implementation of a new QRS service?

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
General question to anyone out there: Do you feel that an improvement on response times from 6-10 minutes down to 2-3 minutes warrants the implementation of a new QRS service?

I know a few schools that made that argument successfully to start a campus EMS. So my answer would have to be yes.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I'm part of a campus-based EMS system. It works fairly well, but it need some improvement. Hopefully, it comes with time. The current president and VP seem to be going in the right direction.

If you have any questions for me about it, let me know. I'd be happy to answer them.

fbsemssocial

Forum Probie
Hows this turning out

Have you had anymore valuable input into this it sounds like a great idea will help response times out since you will have EMS on campus and not having to respond from other places. Keep us informed of how this turns out.