California County Certifications

jsquan

Forum Ride Along
Hello, just to clarify how many different county certifications are there in California? Is it one per EVERY county in California or...? Sorry its a stupid question, but I still have to know lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Or are you asking which counties have their own "expanded scope" courses you have to take on top of the state card and which counties only care about the state card?

LA Co has a 4 hour course you have to take to work here. Orange County has its own (they used to even issue a plastic card similar to the state card, but not anymore).

But to the best of my knowledge, I EMS and REMS do not require a special course above and beyond, i.e. they're happy with just my state card obtained through LA Co EMS Agency.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
For REMS (Riverside County) all you need to do is to have your NREMT, lifescan... you know what, I'll just link it... right...

here ----> http://remsa.us/policy/1202.pdf

Oh and I do believe its the same for ICEMA (San Bernardino).

onrope

Forum Crew Member
Once you obtain your CA EMT cert through your local LEMSA its good anywhere in the state. Some counties may require their own special class ie oc and la. For Medics once you get your state license you have to get licensed in every county you want to work since each county has their own protocols and usually want you to take a protocol test.