CA providers especially, question from friend

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
friend of mine has a question regarding planned homebirth and when the spous is an EMT in the state of CA. "the way he understands it from the class he is taking now is that as either a First Responder or an EMT, he is required to activate EMS protocol in the event of being in the vicinity of a laboring woman. It's considered a medical emergency.

Granted I can refuse medical treatment and sign a form, but he's still required to call paramedics and then they would want to transfer me or I'd have to sign a form.
---------
He would never consider a planned homebirth an emergency, but he says that the policy (state/local) is that a laboring woman is in an emergency situation. I keep looking on google to find out 1) does that apply to planned home births and 2) does it apply when he is the husband of the laboring woman, but I can't find anything."

to the best of my knowledge its a non-issue, she is not a patient because she has not requested 911 assistance, and he should only be bound by protocols when he is on duty or acting as an EMT (and in a homebirth he would not be acting as an EMT but as a father and husband), but i am not in CA and don't know local protocols - anyone able to confirm or correct me?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You are correct. There is no off duty responsibility to activate the 911 system. You can pass by a car accident, not call 911, and there wouldn't be an issue (morals aside).

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
...and if something happens God save you from the mother's parents and lawyers.

OP
OP
P

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
mycrofft I am not asking for personal opinion on homebirth - she's making an informed choice, and it is her choice to make. I'm simply asking if there is anything in CA protocols that would affect his certs if he is not on duty for any company, since I'm not familiar with CA protocols.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Refer to California law as well. Talk to the obstetrician and family practitioner o the case.

OP
OP
P

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
homebirth is legal in CA - I did find that much online. I think somehow I'm not getting my question across very clearly. <sigh> darn interwebz.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
homebirth is legal in CA - I did find that much online. I think somehow I'm not getting my question across very clearly. <sigh> darn interwebz.

Home births are legal provided there is a licensed Midwife present and the mother/baby are considered low risk by the OB. If the EMT has knowledge that either of these factors are missing then he is putting his cert at risk and most of all his baby.

OP
OP
P

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
clipper can you link me to info re: putting cert at risk, if he is not in a professional capacity? obviously if something goes wrong and he doesn't act, that would be a problem, but in a no-risk situation I'm not sure how childbirth would be any different than any other medical or traumatic issue? would it make a difference if there is no consent for treatment?

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
clipper can you link me to info re: putting cert at risk, if he is not in a professional capacity? obviously if something goes wrong and he doesn't act, that would be a problem, but in a no-risk situation I'm not sure how childbirth would be any different than any other medical or traumatic issue? would it make a difference if there is no consent for treatment?

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/allied/midwives_standards.pdf

Is this EMT/father planning to deliver this baby without a Midwife?

I suggest you now consult with an OB. This goes beyond him just being an EMT. Don't play games with the birth of your child and seek professional medical advice from a doctor and get a midwife if you want to deliver at home.

OP
OP
P

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
no it is with a midwife absolutely - he is just being told conflicting information and I'm trying to help him get info. thanks for the website!

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
no it is with a midwife absolutely - he is just being told conflicting information and I'm trying to help him get info. thanks for the website!

If there is a Midwife then there is no problem. Midwives are allowed to do home births and will be the responsible and accountable professional. The EMT has nothing to do with this and should not interfere with the medical aspect. The midwife will make all the necessary arrangements.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I suggest your friend stop worrying about being an EMT for the duration of the birth. It doesn't affect the process at all, and as you said, he should simply concentrate on being a husband and father. He's not acting in the role of an EMT, and he's certainly under no obligation to contact EMS for anyone who doesn't want it, including his own wife's planned homebirth with a midwife. Methinks the legal portion of an EMT class was taken slightly too much to heart with an instructor who may have emphasised the wrong things...