Ca.ambulance liscense test?

Focallength

Forum Crew Member
I just bought the DMV book to study for my ambulance liscense test. Its a big book and I was hoping someone could give me a heads up as to what they test for and what they dont. Do I need to know the whole book? or do they focus on certain aspects?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The whole book.. and it's honestly not that long...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If memory serves me, it's really not that big of a book. Consider checking out a college-level textbook? It's likely, if there's information in the book, you need to know it, so trying to cut corners will only hurt you (your partner, your patients and other motorists), more then it's going to save you a few minutes of reading. There is a bigger test in real life then just the DMV written exam.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's likely, if there's information in the book, you need to know it, so trying to cut corners will only hurt you (your partner, your patients and other motorists), more then it's going to save you a few minutes of reading.

The only thing I remember that was drastically important was the information provided on siren ineffectiveness. Driving is one of those things where if you're either going to drive like an bung hole or not drive like a bung hole. A 20 (or is it 25?) question multiple choice test isn't going to change that.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
The test itself is pretty difficult. Study hard. All those random numbers and lengths of time (how long you can be a driver until you get your EMT) and stuff that wouldn't really apply to you so doesn't stick in your head...know them.

The DMV guy who corrected my test was surprised when I passed. Said in all his years working there, he'd never seen anyone ever get a hundred percent (or was it pass the first time?)

And it's a "certificate" technically...no one calls it that, though.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
I just took that test in February i didn't find it to difficult at all. To me it seemed like common sense. Make sure you know when to use "Code 3" lights and sirens. Where most ambulance accidents occur i.e. intersections. When as a driver you can not drive the ambulance. Even in code 3 status who must you still obey on the road i.e. police. Driving an ambulance with due regard and defensive driving know that. Never pass vehicles on the right since people are to pull to the right.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
As a note you also get 3 chances to take the test and you can do them consecutively. Just read through it quickly and get the important facts then take the test. Review it and look up what you missed (it gives page numbers) and take it again. The test you get next will not be the exact same but I would say 23/30 questions were the same between test 1 and 2.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I just took that test in February i didn't find it to difficult at all. To me it seemed like common sense. Make sure you know when to use "Code 3" lights and sirens. Where most ambulance accidents occur i.e. intersections. When as a driver you can not drive the ambulance. Even in code 3 status who must you still obey on the road i.e. police. Driving an ambulance with due regard and defensive driving know that. Never pass vehicles on the right since people are to pull to the right.

Those were the give me questions...for some reason I remember there being a number of random ones in there.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
There were a few random ones in there. I think there were some about making sure the ambulance is equipped with certain items and there were certain things you could take off the ambulance due to certain circumstances. You have to yield to stop signs a stop lights as long as you re-duce your speed down to 15mph.

Tara_SacCA

Forum Probie
Hate to bump an old post but I have a question....is this a cert that once you get it, you keep it....or....do you have to re-test every so often?

Tara_SacCA

Forum Probie
Thanks!! And one more question I just thought of....did you have to pay for fingerprint/background there? I saw something in the handbook that there was a $67 fee for it??

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah you have to have a separate live scan prior to receiving the card and this live scan is different than the one for your emt card

Last edited by a moderator: