c-spine clearance

palmm

Forum Ride Along
I am looking for some references for c-spine clearance. I have found a few things but none mentioning having neck pain, applying a c-collar and clearing them from a backboard. Any info would be appreciated.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Typically as far as EMS field protocols go, if they are complaining of neck pain, you won't be clearing them in the field. Field clearance comes in the form of "Well, they were in an accident, but they have no complaints" type of thing.

I've yet to even see someone get cleared in a hospital before x-ray when they were complaining of pain or tenderness, as regardless of incidence of fracture, that's one of the zones that pretty much mandates immobilization, in all criteria I've seen.

I suggest Googling the NEXUS Spinal Clearance research done.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

palmm

Forum Ride Along
has anyone heard of just putting a c-collar on the pt with no back board?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
has anyone heard of just putting a c-collar on the pt with no back board?

Yup. I do it fairly often.

I'm one of those people that likes to get a full informed consent from my patients, which means explaining stuff to them. Crazy thought, I know. :p

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
A suggestion is defining "neck pain". I don't know how many times I've had MVC patient's who say their neck hurts, and when you ask them to point to the pain it is actually located on the lateral neck/trapezius muscle.

As far as the topic of putting a c-collar on and not putting the patient on a board, I have never seen a protocol addressing that specific situation. I have personally done it a couple of times, in people who could not tolerate the backboard due to extreme kyphosis or respiratory problems. In those cases it was just a matter of documenting why using the backboard would be immediately detrimental to the patient.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Or the fact that some patients absolutely refuse the backboard but allow just a collar.

Smoke14

Forum Crew Member
We defer immobilization here pretty routinely. Basically, if someone falls or is in a MVC and they are reliable without midline neck or back pain with movement or palpation, they do not get boarded.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Or the fact that some patients absolutely refuse the backboard but allow just a collar.

As far as the topic of putting a c-collar on and not putting the patient on a board, I have never seen a protocol addressing that specific situation. I have personally done it a couple of times, in people who could not tolerate the backboard due to extreme kyphosis or respiratory problems. In those cases it was just a matter of documenting why using the backboard would be immediately detrimental to the patient.

Both of which are significantly different than the prehospital provider saying, "Well, there's neck pain but no back pain, so we can't withhold the long hard voodoo board."

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
This of course assuming the crap that passes for cervical collars isn't VooDoo itself.

There may be a place for spinal motion restriction...but I don't see one in it's current form.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I think the fact that you will sometimes see people walking around with rigid collars after being discharged says something to an appropriately placed collar (not the "no necks fit everyone" stupidity). I think the biggest problem is that the net is cast way too wide.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I agree, an appropriately sized and applied collar works. The no-neck fits everyone minimally padded lowest-bidder adjustables don't fit that definition very often.

clibb

Forum Captain
We use the C-collar, vacuum splint, and scoop.
Our protocols uses the Nexus c-spine clearance.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
But sometimes if it quacks it isn't a duck.

Not to run down the comments above, but seen plenty of pts with a C collar only, and most often it was because the person doing the run was incompetent. They should not have applied the collar but it made them (the responders) feel better. Or, they did not examine the pt properly, and did not know what local protocol called for. Every out of jail pt I have had refuse a spineboard also ripped off the collar.