Burnout rate

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
One option is to continue pursuing the computer-related education that you think you'd enjoy first and foremost, since that (I reckon) is more likely to provide adequate, decent-paying employment.

Then, find yourself an EMT-B class to take in the evenings while going to school/working elsewhere. That gives you the opportunity to volunteer (if you have such a department near you) or perhaps be hired part-time as an EMT in a nearby company. That way, you're still pursuing alternate (I'd say more traditional) paths of education/employment, but you have the ability to get into the EMS field you're interested in without the stress of relying on it for your sole source of income. You get to gain experience that you otherwise wouldn't, learn a little bit more about possible career progression, medic programs, and whether or not you actually DO want to focus on it as a permanent career, and the whole time you're hopefully leaving yourself other options besides.

That may not be feasible for everyone, but it's worked well for me. I have a full-time job and 1 1/2 years ago became interested in learning how to be an EMT. Last year I took the evening/weekend classes and now I volunteer. I don't have to worry about EMS being my source of income, and I certainly still have an interested in continuing my EMS education and being as active as possible...so I know it's because I actually enjoy it.

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
The most important thing to do in this business is:

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF. Eat well, exercise, have a hobby, and stay positive. Find someone you can talk with if you are feeling down, about anything. Remember to do things for yourself. If needed, brush up on stress and EMS workers. Also, if the need arises, make sure to attend a PTSD (posttraumatic stress debriefing). Know your limits. We are human and we make mistakes. Learn from them and move on. Make sure you smile.
Have fun in your new career. I know I did, 28 years and counting since I entered EMS, and 19 years as a Paramedic, and still going. :):)

reaper

Working Bum
I have 22 years in and still love the job. At my service over half the medics have more then 15 years in and live very comfortable. If this is a job you enjoy and do not let the BS get to you, then it is a great career.

As for those that say there is no where to go or it is too restrictive, there is a reason for a lot of that. Everyone bails without trying to change anything. When you look at a system to work for. Look at the amount of long time medics. This will tell you that something works right and they keep up with the changes. If you truely love Paramedicine, then make it a career and push for the changes. You will get tired of all the people that complain about EMS, but they bail in a few years and never try to make changes.

So, if you truely want a career, then do it. Don't worry about burn out. You will never see it, if you love what you do.

OP
OP
S

spraded

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the posts and advice, peoples.

The reason I want to go into this: well, medicine isn't that attractive to me. But the medical field is one of the surest places to be in, or at least I've heard. Also: I LOVE being on the go, working an office job or being in one place for a long time would be torture for me. The idea of even getting a chance to help people's lives is a benefit in itself.

These may be wrong reasons to join this "career" but I've looked at many, many options, yet none of them attract me as much as a paramedic career. Perhaps, I'll move onto better things in the public service field(officer or firefighter) but now, perhaps, I'm looking too ahead.

I've signed up for EMT-B classes this summer at my local community college. It will take me approximately 14 weeks to complete. After that, I'm going to get my experience under my belt as a EMT-B and either going for my associate in EMS(paramedic core w/ general education classes) or just going to get my EMT-P certificate.

Either way, I believe I've made the right choice.

Cheers! ^_^

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Was that sarcasm?! <_< I just figured...FFs seem to be, unfortunately, more highly paid and respected. Sure, the hours really, really stink but that's the thing about the public service field.

Lol it's all personal opinion, guy :p

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Was that sarcasm?! <_< I just figured...FFs seem to be, unfortunately, more highly paid and respected. Sure, the hours really, really stink but that's the thing about the public service field.

Actually FF hours are pretty good, 48hrs on 96 off is not bad.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Lol forget that! Ive never even seem that schedule... I'll gladly stick with my 24/48s :p

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

all depends where you work. FF here work 72 hours and are sometimes forced to do 96 hour shifts.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I take it back, Sandog...
Firefite's hours are ridiculous!