Bulletproof vest grants

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Greetings folks,

This is a follow-up post to one I made a while back about grants. Since the last post my employer has tasked me with locating and applying for grants that would either be general funds or be used specifically to purchase bulletproof vests for each of our medics. We're a relatively small agency in Iowa. My questions to the community are: Have you written grants for such a thing as vests? If so, to which did you apply? Did you find a database of grants that you could search through? Any advice you have to a novice grant writer such as myself?

Many thanks as always,
M.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Meta i know nothing about grants but i suggest looking at police surplus and military surplus stores for cheaper equipment. I know this is not "on topic" necessarily but you can get more for your 'buck'(grant) this way.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I believe @Tigger has written grants and could help you out.

OP
OP
E

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Meta i know nothing about grants but i suggest looking at police surplus and military surplus stores for cheaper equipment. I know this is not "on topic" necessarily but you can get more for your 'buck'(grant) this way.

Sounds good. I'll definitely look into it, but I know that vest plates expire, so I'm not sure how my employer would feel about purchasing plates/vests with an unknown warranty or shelf-life.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Oh yea. I forgot to say that, but the vest itself and plate carriers are what you can buy but not plates themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
While "grant databases" exist, much of it is locality dependent and subject to the grantor's idea of what constitutes a worthwhile donation and what does not.

Most of our grant money comes from state run programs, I think anyone attempting to fund things with grants should start by talking to their state EMS office and see what they provide. Also bear in mind that most will require a cash match, and 50/50 is the most common split, meaning your agency will still need to foot half the bill.