Buffing Calls @ Private NYC Ambulances

When I used to work on 46Y I knew and trusted the crews on 46B, 46G, 46E, our typical back-up (when I worked in 2007), not some randoms from F. Hills or Corona VAC. I want people I know to get my back when I'm working a tough call, not an unknown quantity with an unknown level of training, who didn't pass a professional screening/hiring process, and some sort of academy/field internship before hitting the streets.

The restrictive protocols and OLMC options are what they are because there are so many different providers operating in the NYC 911 system. Different hiring standards, different QA/QI standards, different accountability and discipline, etc.

The idea of listening to a scanner and jumping calls is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of in my entire life. Sorry to be blunt. Culture, history, or whatever, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Wait it out two more months then start applying to jobs where you can do 911s without this whole ridiculous setup.

lol, a good chunk of 911 people have experience in this system.
Anyone here buff calls while working at a private NYC ambulance? I'm curious because I've heard rumours about guys who are doing it at more than one private company. I would like to know about your experiences, if its worth doing, what the risks are, etc. Me personally I know I am SAFEST doing it at my Volly. At a private service where one is expected to be doing dispatched Txp or SNF emergencies, I can see how it would be a problem if a particular unit or person(s) are coincidentally always getting "flag downs". I would prefer not to risk my job over some buffing action.

Don't do it. I used to work with a guy at a private who used to get a ridiculous amount of flag-down jobs. A lot of us didn't know how it happened, but someone explained to me that he pretty sure he was listening in on the scanners. Made sense that he was almost always in trouble with the dispatchers because I can see how that would throw off the schedules. Came to later always have supervisor almost literally tracking him most days. He was a volley guy as well. Left us for a 911 voluntary with that pay raise they get, so I guess it worked out for him.
But I don't recommend buffing with the privates, the stress of being known to everyone in the office is probably not worth it.

Yeah i keep hearing about these cowboys thinking its the wild west out here

Back