Bsi

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Want some fun.. go to your hospitals lab and get an petri dish and swab the steering wheel, cot handles, door handles and laryngoscope blade.. they will help you place them on the auger... Let, it grow a few days in incubation and see what you have....

You will definitely, re-think your ways of eating while driving the unit, and hand washing techniques.

Paramedics should be required to have to take microbiology, to understand the resistance and typical bacterial growth and aseptic needs.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Great point BossCow. I thought about that, too. You touch so many things, it's hard to tell. I thought, "Steering wheel, door handles, keys, etc, etc..."

I'm starting to feel like most of my EMT-B work will be hands-on cleaning experience. When do you have time for patients? :p How long does it take to do all this procedural cleaning after a patient?

Less time than you will wait for the lab test results!

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Have good common sense, and use the barrier devices that are provided for you by the service you work for. Ventmedic brought up very good points about uniforms and BSI for the home. All it boils down to work smart, work safe, and you can never compromise good handwashing. On an ambulance note: We never wore our gloves in the cab of the ambulance after touching the patients, and we would also decon the cabs with the daily station chores. :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
All of this said, I think it's important to remember that the #1 way to avoid catching/passing all of that crap to the next person is hand washing. I don't care what anyone says about how awesome that no-rinse gel is. I wash first and then gel.

Gloves are great, masks are too, but good 'ole hand washing and common sense is better than all of those combined.

Recycled Words

Forum Crew Member
I don't care what anyone says about how awesome that no-rinse gel is. I wash first and then gel.

Haha...thought I was the only one. I wash at the hospital, use the no-rinse gel when I'm back in the rig or by the door on my way out of the ER