BS protocol updates

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
i dont like to give out that information but yes, we can give NTG but not aspirin.

EDIT: and no, they have to have their own nitro

Don't like to give what info? Your state? Why not?

And so you are saying that you can only assist with nitro, not give it?

lampnyter

Forum Captain
yes, we can only assist.

we have to go by the 5 rights very strictly

JPINFV

Gadfly
yes, we can only assist.

we have to go by the 5 rights very strictly

I've always found "assisting" someone in taking their own prescription a stretch too far to consider it administering. You aren't really giving anyone anything in that case. You're essentially allowing them to take their own prescription. Now if you were administering it from your own stock based on your own assessment (instead of allowing a patient to take a medication from their on stock on their physician's prescription), then this conversation would make a lot more sense.

OP
OP
C

Cake

Forum Crew Member
lets say a guy gets hurt, and as the on scene EMT, I want to give him tylenol for the pain. His buddy comes up and hands him a vicodin instead. I could advise against it, but there is nothing that I can do to prevent him from taking it? Or an asthmatic who wants an extra does of their own abeuterol? He or she has already had their allotted 2 doses per protocol, but they're not feeling it, and want more. Can I keep them from their meds, or do I hand it over and tell em you're on your own?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Basically, yea. Unless the patient is suicidal, I can't think of a reason why you could keep anyone from self administering prescribed medications. The vicodin is illegal, but I doubt anyone would care provided abuse isn't suspected.

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
CAn't give ASA but can give NTG? I'm hoping you can't just hand it out to whomever you want to

nope, here in PA NTG (and epi-pen) are pt assisted meds, and you do actually "give" it meaning you do the placement of the tab under the tongue or activate the spray (provided of course your 6Rs are in place) - think about it, you really want a diaphoretic cardiac pt holding their own nitro to place it under their tongue? it'll be all but gone by the time they get it there...then what good does it do? can give one dose, then CMC, if unable to contact may give one extra dose as outlined in protocol 501.

lets say a guy gets hurt, and as the on scene EMT, I want to give him tylenol for the pain. His buddy comes up and hands him a vicodin instead. I could advise against it, but there is nothing that I can do to prevent him from taking it? Or an asthmatic who wants an extra does of their own abeuterol? He or she has already had their allotted 2 doses per protocol, but they're not feeling it, and want more. Can I keep them from their meds, or do I hand it over and tell em you're on your own?

on the asthma....and this is just a thought....but the albuterol in the inhaler is less potent than the albuterol in a nebulizer treatment (i think thats what i'm trying to say)....as a pt i've already OD'd on my inhaler to the point of not being able to take anymore, including not being able to do a nebulizer treatment (6 doses, 2puffs each dose, in 90mins...oops). one extra inhaler dose i wouldn't really worry about (but watch vitals etc!) but after that i would tell the pt they can't take it any more or the medic/ER won't be able to give them the nebulizer they need. granted this is also a pt by pt decision, if they are crashing.....though granted an inhaler in a pt who is getting worse to the point of very limited air exchange (who has most likely already used the inhaler a few times before calling!) is not going to do much by this point if i did not already have ALS on scene i would be on the phone with the dr - he gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions ;)
on the vicodin - i would do my best to prevent it, as it is technically illegal to share medication with someone for whom the med is not prescribed, and you don't know if your pt is allergic to it or not...they may not even know....and if they are then you have a bigger problem on your hands....

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
n the albuterol in the inhaler is less potent than the albuterol in a nebulizer treatment
Salbutamol (albuterol) is most effectively delivered by MDI w/ spacer. The belief that nebulized is more effective is not supported in the literature.

Closa, RM et. al. 1998, "Efficacy of Bronchodialators Administered by Nebulizers Vs Spacer Devices in Infant with Acute Wheezing" Pediatric Pulmonology, vol 26. pp. 344-348

Deerojanawong, J. et. al. 2005. "Randomized Controlled Trial of Salbutamol Aerosol Therapy Via MDI-Space Vs. Jet Nebulizer in Young Children With Wheezing." Pediatric Pulmonology, vol 39 pp. 466-472.

Rubilar, L. et. al. 2000. "Randomized Trial of Salbutamol via MDI-Spacer Vs. Nebulizer for Acute Wheezing in Children Less Than Two Years of Age." Pediatric Pulmonology. vol 29. pp 264-269.

but after that i would tell the pt they can't take it any more or the medic/ER won't be able to give them the nebulizer they need.

This is probably is a jurisdiction thing, but here all my doses are irregardless of previous self-medication.

granted this is also a pt by pt decision, if they are crashing.....though granted an inhaler in a pt who is getting worse to the point of very limited air exchange (who has most likely already used the inhaler a few times before calling!) is not going to do much by this point if i did not already have ALS on scene i would be on the phone with the dr - he gets paid the big bucks to make those decisions ;)

If they're crashing they likely don't have the tidal volume to draw the salbutamol into the bronchial tree. Pouring more bronchodialator into respiratory dead space isn't going to help. They need epi at this point concurrently with careful PPV.

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
Salbutamol (albuterol) is most effectively delivered by MDI w/ spacer. The belief that nebulized is more effective is not supported in the literature.

Closa, RM et. al. 1998, "Efficacy of Bronchodialators Administered by Nebulizers Vs Spacer Devices in Infant with Acute Wheezing" Pediatric Pulmonology, vol 26. pp. 344-348

Deerojanawong, J. et. al. 2005. "Randomized Controlled Trial of Salbutamol Aerosol Therapy Via MDI-Space Vs. Jet Nebulizer in Young Children With Wheezing." Pediatric Pulmonology, vol 39 pp. 466-472.

Rubilar, L. et. al. 2000. "Randomized Trial of Salbutamol via MDI-Spacer Vs. Nebulizer for Acute Wheezing in Children Less Than Two Years of Age." Pediatric Pulmonology. vol 29. pp 264-269.

This is probably is a jurisdiction thing, but here all my doses are irregardless of previous self-medication.

If they're crashing they likely don't have the tidal volume to draw the salbutamol into the bronchial tree. Pouring more bronchodialator into respiratory dead space isn't going to help. They need epi at this point concurrently with careful PPV.

~ what i meant (and i apologize for not explaining it better - baby brain) is that the dosage is different. neb of 2.5mg alb in 3ml nss is not the same as 90mcg inhaler - or am confused? on those studies - do you have any that aren't pediatric? i don't know too many adults that are even given spacers to use, let alone use them on a per/dose basis....

~ so if a pt has OD'd on albuterol (meaning showing S/S of having too much in their system) you give them more? :huh:

~ thanks for explaining what i was trying to say better. i don't always use the right words to get my point across...lol

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
~ what i meant (and i apologize for not explaining it better - baby brain) is that the dosage is different. neb of 2.5mg alb in 3ml nss is not the same as 90mcg inhaler - or am confused? on those studies - do you have any that aren't pediatric? i don't know too many adults that are even given spacers to use, let alone use them on a per/dose basis....

A single 100mcg spray is not considered a dose. At least not under my medical directives. A dose is 900 mcg (9 sprays) delivered one spray every 10 seconds. All our dose are delivered with spacer.

In a nebulized dose a very large portion of the drug is lost to room air.

As far as research, I don't have any readily available (as in, in a document I had on my desk) sources from other journals. What other than where they were published potentially calls their validity into question for you?

~ so if a pt has OD'd on albuterol (meaning showing S/S of having too much in their system) you give them more? :huh:

The most common side effects of salbutamol are going to be pretty hard to pick out in a patient in severe respiratory distress, unresponsive to medication, that may be progressing to failure. Tachycardia, palpitations, headache, etc. may be present anyways. These are the effects of the drug on the sympathetic nervous system, which will already be stimulated. Hypokalemia is something to be worried about later.

Let's examine why this Pt. might have self-administered salbutamol with no relief? The most common problem is likely they're doing it wrong and not drawing their medication in deep enough. In which case a properly administered dose may clear up the problem. The other is that they're in status asthmaticus and are not responding to salbutamol, in which case, go right to epi and PPV and consider salbutamol after the epi has begun to work.

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
A single 100mcg spray is not considered a dose. At least not under my medical directives. A dose is 900 mcg (9 sprays) delivered one spray every 10 seconds. All our dose are delivered with spacer.

never heard of that dose (only standard 1-2 puffs PRN q4-6h), and we don't carry spacers on the ambo. as a pt i've never been scripted a spacer for albuterol inhaler (got one once for flovent but was specifically told NOT to use it for albuterol). do ya'lls carry MDI on the truck as well? just curious bc we do not (only neb)...

As far as research, I don't have any readily available (as in, in a document I had on my desk) sources from other journals. What other than where they were published potentially calls their validity into question for you?

just was looking for something directed at/researched in adults, not infants/very young children/children under 2 - not doubting their validity as pertained to those age grps at all since a majority of children that age are unable to follow commands of breath in and hold it, just curious if they had studied it in pts who were capable of (and did) follow proper dosing etc.

The most common side effects of salbutamol are going to be pretty hard to pick out in a patient in severe respiratory distress, unresponsive to medication, that may be progressing to failure. Tachycardia, palpitations, headache, etc. may be present anyways. These are the effects of the drug on the sympathetic nervous system, which will already be stimulated. Hypokalemia is something to be worried about later.

i was referring to the fact that OD may cause seizures, or be fatal, per the medication sheet that the pts get....and etc.

Let's examine why this Pt. might have self-administered salbutamol with no relief? The most common problem is likely they're doing it wrong and not drawing their medication in deep enough. In which case a properly administered dose may clear up the problem. The other is that they're in status asthmaticus and are not responding to salbutamol, in which case, go right to epi and PPV and consider salbutamol after the epi has begun to work.

true, the first is a common problem. there is a significant lack of education, i have found, for pts with any medical problem (not just asthma), and/or lack of understanding and retaining that understanding should they get it the first time around....a good example is myself - fortunately i have a medical background and know something of what i am dealing with (though my brain is quite fuzzy ATM coming off of being sick and really dehydrated)...but when i was dx'd with asthma a few years ago all i was told was "you have asthma. take this med (flovent) this way and take this one (albuterol) that way. bye." :angry::blink: