BS in EMS or?

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can clear up some confusion.

I remember being told here that I would not regret a path down our universities (University of New Mexico) BS program for EMS. I am wondering, "Why?"

To my understanding, there are programs offered where in 2 years one can attain enough education to becoming an EMT-P. I know our university offers specialization in Clinical Care, Administration or Education, but aside from that -- what are the main benefits of getting a BS degree in EMS versus obtaining EMT-P status via other quicker means?

Also, If its not too much I'd GREATLY appreciate some pro's and con's of the paramedic field.

Link to our program if interested:HERE

Thank you for your responses. I'm at a crossroads now (have been and its driving me crazy) and I'm trying to figure out whether I should go into EMS or get my BS in Nursing. Nursing seems to pay better in general, but pay isnt everything. EMS seems like it might fit my personality more but I'm completely ignorant on the fine details of the job. I probably just need to do a ton of ride-alongs to see those, but thought I'd try here too.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Just alike nursing, getting your Associate Degree will get you into the workforce. Truthfully, there is not much difference in the clinical application of a ADN and a BSN. In fact, it has been proven ADN RN's, usually will have more in depth clinical education.

Now in comparison the same can be said of Associate Degree Paramedics and those with a BS in EMS. The role or clinical performance will not change much if any. There is though quite of bit of difference from EMS programs affiliated with Vocational/Trade schools and those affiliated with higher education. Rather alike the BSN in nursing, the opportunities and having the ability to go beyond the general scope will be there. Usually, most BS and Graduate programs in EMS will focus in the later part of the curriculum of either in administration, education, research or some speciality. Alike the BSN will focus on additional education in administration, education, and a little in research attempting to prepare you for the graduate level.

If you are really looking at pay differential as a clinician role, there is little to no difference. If you are considering the long term possibility of increased pay opportunities, yes there is quite of bit of difference.

Please consider though, as one that has dual license and multiple degrees in each, I can truthfully say each is its own profession. There really is very little similarity to each other. The role, educational methods, purposes are NOT even similar. Trying to compare an X-Ray tech and a Physical Therapist would be similar analogy.

Talk to guidance counselors specialized in those areas. Attempt to talk to those working in those areas, hear the good as well as the bad. Each profession has them. Again, they should be judged separately not associated with each other.

Good luck,

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
At this time there is no real benefit besides personal development. In the near future though you will find yourself way ahead of everyone else when our profession decides to clean up and expect more. While everyone else is trying to rush to get the required education you will be in high demand.

And as R/r911 mentioned you could look at being in more than one profession, thus making yourself even more marketable.

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
Im take ALS classes in VA.
The teacher was talking about the program becoming a degree program very likely in the near future.

I plan on going for degree regardless but apparently she was making it sound that if it becomes a degree program it will most likely allow paramedics to do more in the field.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
just OT, you're at UNM? Are you an EMT with a service now?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
That's not a bad program.

http://hsc.unm.edu/som/emsacad/courses.shtml

After you first year of required prerequisites, some ride time/experience as an EMT-B and being introduced to other students in other medical programs, you should know what direction you want to take. Those prerequisites will transfer to almost any health care program. Or, you can get a 2nd Bachelors later in nursing with the transferable credit.

Nursing:
http://hsc.unm.edu/consg/pdf/bsn/bsn_wksht.pdf

Raise you sciences to the next level and you could go with their PA Bachelors:
http://hsc.unm.edu/som/fcm/pap/prereq.shtml

Radiographic Science is a great program but that requires a lot of prerequisites and some heavy sciences. Those in this profession must take lots of continuing education to stay current with their specialties, technology advancements and licenses.
http://hsc.unm.edu/som/radiology/Rad_Radiography.shtml

Physical Therapy requires Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate with heavy sciences.
http://hsc.unm.edu/som/physther/

There are several options for you to explore at this college.
http://hsc.unm.edu/education/

You could even visit other college departments while taking the perquisite classes. I would recommend that you take the higher science/math classes whenever possible and not just the minimum entry level.

Higher education will not be wasted.

A word of caution, you may get frustrated if you work with those who view education as a waste of time. Unfortunately, there are many in the EMS profession like that.

You will just have to focus on your own goals to become the best health care provider possible in whatever profession you choose.

OP
OP
H

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all your responses. To answer the OT question: I had an EMT-B cert a few years ago but never got my license as I went on into engineering. I’ve the higher maths and sciences under my belt and found they conveniently work for me should I go down the paramedic route and end up trying out for PA school, but to answer your question: no, I’m not in the service. I’m just trying to find my path.

It seems nursing has quite a bit of versatility in the job market. I spoke with my uncle (head-chaplain at UNM-H) and he confirmed this as his wife is a nurse. I asked what his experience was with paramedics and he says they have much lower job versatility. I don’t really understand why.

This is what I think, and this is total speculation so correct me if I’m wrong, but paramedics seem to be a younger profession than nursing by a few years. Being a newer profession it became lower in pay and status. However it seems that, much like the nurses of 20 years ago, paramedics are finally starting to become a very respectable and an in-demand profession. So my only guess is that our country will slowly shift to require higher degrees in EMS such that medics can increase scope of practice. As a result, the pay for those degrees will likely converge to the pay of an RN? Is this why the pay differential wouldn’t be much different, Ridryder911? Is this what you meant by “cleaning up” medic417?

If what I said is true, then I’d go for paramedic in a heartbeat. I want to help people (despite one books statement on amazon.com, From Buff to Burnt, stating that if you’re going to become a paramedic to save people, you’re going to be disappointed … most paramedics get burnt from abuse of the system”). I’m just worried about the cost versus benefit in gaining a BS in EMS with our pay here starting as low as $12 to $19 an hour. (although there is a job opening here for about $16 starting which isn’t too bad when compared to the RN start of $21ish).

VentMedic

Forum Chief
EMS is actually not as young as some of the professions on that list of health programs. The difference is in the recognized minimum standards for education that has been already established by those professions NATIONALLY.

EMS is still very fragmented with 50 states each having their own requirements and ideas about what to even call their EMS providers. Even the term Paramedic is not used in every state. You will also be looked at from the entry level by the minimum length of time, in "hours", it takes to be a paramedic in your state regardless of your higher education. If your state only requires 700 hours, then that is what your knowledge level will be perceived by other professionals and legislators. I'm sure there are many in your area especially with the FD that are choosing the certificate route that is also offered at your college. At least it does require college level A&P.

OP
OP
H

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
Where do I go to find out our states guidelines or with whom do I speak? I hope it can grant me some insight into the supply and demand in our area for EMT-P's.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Where do I go to find out our states guidelines or with whom do I speak? I hope it can grant me some insight into the supply and demand in our area for EMT-P's.

Check out nmems.org
That's the NM State EMS website. It has guidelines and phone numbers

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Your State EMS Office, State EMS Association, etc. In which your school should had taught you.

R/r911

OP
OP
H

HartenJ

Forum Ride Along
Ah, well either they didn't or I simply don't remember -- either way, thanks.

R/r, you said, "If you are really looking at pay differential as a clinician role, there is little to no difference. If you are considering the long term possibility of increased pay opportunities, yes there is quite of bit of difference." Would you mind expanding the details on that for me please?