Books

Tommerag

What day is it?
Anyone else like to read and I'm talking recreational reading no types of medical books haha. I'm looking for reading suggestions as I've read ally my books several times over.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I like to read.

I read mainly fiction. About half of the bulk of what I read is from the expanded Star Wars universe. The other half of the bulk of what I read is mainly thriller or mystery novels, such as from Michael Connelly, James Patterson, or Dean Koontz.

I also read magazines, mainly related to the Macintosh world, or ones about cars, photography, genealogy, and a few other miscellaneous subjects.

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
Mac? Yuck......:p haha ever read the eragon series?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Yes, I like to read.

I read mainly fiction. About half of the bulk of what I read is from the expanded Star Wars universe. The other half of the bulk of what I read is mainly thriller or mystery novels, such as from Michael Connelly, James Patterson, or Dean Koontz.

I also read magazines, mainly related to the Macintosh world, or ones about cars, photography, genealogy, and a few other miscellaneous subjects.

I enjoyed the Star Wars books back a dozen years ago. Did they ever get beyond "Han and Leia are in a major jam, no one can save the day but Luke, who's weighted down by some chick and needs to get a life"?

I keep one historical biography going all the time, right now it's George Washington, and pre-read juvenile fiction for my kids (they like Percy Jackson, Little House on the Prairie, Junie B Jones, etc). I also like Tom Clancy, James Patterson, and John Grisham.

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
Do you guys do a lot of reading if you get time at work? My dad was a deputy sheriff and I swear he would go through a book a week lol.....shows how much he did

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I enjoyed the Star Wars books back a dozen years ago. Did they ever get beyond "Han and Leia are in a major jam, no one can save the day but Luke, who's weighted down by some chick and needs to get a life"?

I keep one historical biography going all the time, right now it's George Washington, and pre-read juvenile fiction for my kids (they like Percy Jackson, Little House on the Prairie, Junie B Jones, etc). I also like Tom Clancy, James Patterson, and John Grisham.

I haven't actually read very many of the newer ones yet, but yeah, and even back then...There are a lot of books now that take place between the two trilogies, or before the prequel trilogy. Some of them are long before the prequel, thousands of years. But they still deal with things that are in the movies, if only passing references. For example, in Episode I there is a scene where Darth Maul says something about how the Sith have been dormant, or silent, or hiding—something like that—for a thousand years or generations or whatever it was he said exactly. There are books that go into what happened a thousand years ago, and why the Sith have been "away" for all that time.

My father had a class with Tom Clancy at Loyola.

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
Just checked it ou on amazon might have to get that one looks to be a good read.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I am a fan of short stories like The Most Dangerous Game, The Lottery, Harrison Bergeron. I also enjoy reading dystopian literature like The Giver, Fahrenheit 451, and 1984. There are a couple of outliers to what I like such as A Farewell to Arms.

Lately I've been reading just parts of text books, or articles posted here.

Last edited by a moderator:

llavero

Forum Crew Member
I was read "Diario de un náufrago" (Diary of a shipwrecked) of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and I was enjoyed very much with "Una noche de perros" (A night of dogs) of Hugh Larie.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Currently reading a biography of George Washington.

http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Li...2664/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292921943&sr=8-1

It's a fantastic book, and it doesn't feel like a biography. I must say I have a newfound respect for President Washington.

That's the one I'm reading. He just finished learning from the mistakes at Valley Forge. Martha just joined them for the winter of 1777.

What's fun is that we live just south of fredericksburg, my husband works in Fairfax county, and I'm familiar with all the geography in the book because I've been there. It makes the book all the more interesting because these are actual places I've walked.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I love reading. In fact, my Kindle has well over 200 books on it right now :) Everything from SciFi to Dave Brown to Dale Brown to Anne Mccaffery

Sassafras

Forum Captain
Gosh, I'm eclectic in my reading style, but cheap too. I'll read a new author just because the kindle download is cheap. LOL. Lately I've been reading the Gutenberg Project books since they are free downloads. I am getting caught up on the classics, Jules Verne, Victor Hugo and the like. I also read a few Ken Follet books this year (Die Neidle [I think that's the spelling] and Pillars of the Earth), I like reading books recounting the residencies of Doctors like Hot Lights, Cold Steel. Fantasy is fun at times too and over the summer I read through the entire Wi'tch Fire series by James Clemens. When I'm in the mood for fluff I go to Nora Roberts and her smutty novels. I also like her pseudo name J.D. Robbs and the "in Death" series.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Gosh, I'm eclectic in my reading style, but cheap too. I'll read a new author just because the kindle download is cheap. LOL. Lately I've been reading the Gutenberg Project books since they are free downloads. I am getting caught up on the classics, Jules Verne, Victor Hugo and the like. I also read a few Ken Follet books this year (Die Neidle [I think that's the spelling] and Pillars of the Earth), I like reading books recounting the residencies of Doctors like Hot Lights, Cold Steel. Fantasy is fun at times too and over the summer I read through the entire Wi'tch Fire series by James Clemens. When I'm in the mood for fluff I go to Nora Roberts and her smutty novels. I also like her pseudo name J.D. Robbs and the "in Death" series.
Hot Lights, Cold Steel is a great book! And yea, new authors and the old classic books are good cause they're either cheap or free

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Yeah, I enjoy reading. However...most of my leisure reading is still medical books :p

OP
OP
Tommerag

Tommerag

What day is it?
Anyone like Dan Brown's books?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I do. I've git hard copies and kindle copies of all his books.

dhaage

Forum Crew Member
My favorite books have to be high fantasy, with Raymond Feist being my favorite author. Pretty much anything with swords and/or magic in it.