BLS Question

FirstAidMan

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys. Im an EMR in training and had a short question. I have the EMR BLS textbook sitting right next to me on my desk (so you medics and EMTs can't jump on the poor not even an EMR yet noob :D). It says in Infants, once an advanced airway (ET Tube, LMA) has been inserted during 2 person CPR, providers should not preform "cycles of CPR" or 15:2 ratio. They should instead provide constant compressions (100 a minute) with a ventilation every 6-8 seconds. What is the reason for this in your opinion? Is this also the case with adults?

Thanks, John

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Hey guys. Im an EMR in training and had a short question. I have the EMR BLS textbook sitting right next to me on my desk. It says in Infants, once an advanced airway (ET Tube, LMA) has been inserted during 2 person CPR, providers should not preform "cycles of CPR" or 15:2 ratio. They should instead provide constant compressions (100 a minute) with a ventilation every 6-8 seconds. What is the reason for this in your opinion? Is this also the case with adults?

This is the case for all ages. With the bag-mask only, you pause compressions before ventilating because it's very difficult to effectively ventilate when someone's pushing on the chest. However, once there's a tube directing air into the lungs (rather than into the stomach or out through a leaky mask), it becomes feasible to perform both tasks simultaneously.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Don't eat chowdah after 22:00.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
yup, quick answer is once air way is established. dont' have to stop compressions.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
The key is to not interfere with quality chest compressions on any age. You are able to do so with an advanced airway. That is why.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Hey guys. Im an EMR in training and had a short question. I have the EMR BLS textbook sitting right next to me on my desk (so you medics and EMTs can't jump on the poor not even an EMR yet noob :D). It says in Infants, once an advanced airway (ET Tube, LMA) has been inserted during 2 person CPR, providers should not preform "cycles of CPR" or 15:2 ratio. They should instead provide constant compressions (100 a minute) with a ventilation every 6-8 seconds. What is the reason for this in your opinion? Is this also the case with adults?

Thanks, John

Give an infant a breath about every 3 to 5 seconds, not 6 to 8

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Mariemt

Forum Captain
If I would read the question a little better and pay more attention, I would not look so stupid.

The key was advanced airway. Just ignore me, Ill be in the corner of the round room:blink: