BLS kit

certguy

Forum Captain
Does anyone know where I can find a good , well - stocked BLS kit for under $ 100.00 ??

CERTGUY

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Does anyone know where I can find a good , well - stocked BLS kit for under $ 100.00 ??

CERTGUY

Oh my, there have been threads about this topic up to wazoo... dont get this community started again. Without getting too far into this, you will probably do better price-wise if you stock you own kit, as opposed to buying a kit fully stocked.
Check out
http://www.savelives.com/products/cat/6/sub/14/Pre-Filled-Kits
http://www.galls.com/easearchresult...ies////Medical Bags & Cases&resultsperpage=10
http://online.boundtree.com/store/p...CASES,+STOCKED&Keyword=&Sort=CustPrice&Page=1

good luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
stock it yourself. You know what you need. Get an empty bag from Galls and buy the insides yourself. You will do alot better on your own than a predesigned kit carrying stuff you will never need.

Capt.Hook

Forum Crew Member
stock it yourself. You know what you need. Get an empty bag from Galls and buy the insides yourself. You will do alot better on your own than a predesigned kit carrying stuff you will never need.

I agree. Last year we added two bls kits to a new rescue truck. We took the inexpensive avenue and ordered prestocked from emp I believe. I ended up discarding some things only to add other items from our stock. One item in each that I laughed at was the stethoscope. HA! My kids had better ones in their little "doctor" kits!

Next time we'll make our own bags.

emtangie850

Forum Crew Member
I agree... Definatly stock your own kits. The bag, BP cuff, & steth. are probaly the most expensive items. Usually in the kits they give you unnecessary stuff.
You can find a majority of the stuff at a local pharmacy (ie 4x4's, gauze, eye wash...)

-Angie

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
yea, thats your best bet, I got an old bag from my fire company, one of the iron duck ones, (really nice) and one duty night I asked my captian if its ok if I stock my bag and he said go ahead, now I have a fully stocked BLS bag, i still need the O2 but I have to wait until we get some spare tanks to grab one of those, but yea going empty and then stocking yourself is the best..

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
yea, thats your best bet, I got an old bag from my fire company, one of the iron duck ones, (really nice) and one duty night I asked my captian if its ok if I stock my bag and he said go ahead, now I have a fully stocked BLS bag, i still need the O2 but I have to wait until we get some spare tanks to grab one of those, but yea going empty and then stocking yourself is the best..

You may want to search the previous threads here on this, but why do you think you need an O2 bottle for a personal jump kit?

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
because i 1st respond as a fire company emt to the scene of ems calls in my fire district, its not bad during the daytime (paid squad crew) but its bad at night sometimes 5-10 minutes for a rig, so it helps to be prepared

firecoins

IFT Puppet
because i 1st respond as a fire company emt to the scene of ems calls in my fire district, its not bad during the daytime (paid squad crew) but its bad at night sometimes 5-10 minutes for a rig, so it helps to be prepared

if you are responding offically for you company, have the company lend you an inservice O2 tank. If you are responinding unoffically or come across stuff, you really don't need one.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
well i kinda do both...its complicated here cause we are all volunteer..

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
well i kinda do both...its complicated here cause we are all volunteer..

We're all vollie also, but that's still no reason to carry an O2 tank in your personal kit. Like firecoins said, if your agency wants you to carry one, they need to provide you one. If not, don't bother.

Here are some of the comments about carrying personal O2 kits from the previous discussions:

Yes drugs need a prescription OR ( I stress the OR in the original post) a medical directors approval. Please note the OR in the above sentence.

I was just reiterating the fact the O2 is a drug as so many people forget that and believe it is totally harmless to handle, transport or administer.

If anyone is going to carry any drug in their POV, they better have medical directors approval and also have a plan in place per OSHA guidelines (if you are OSHA state) on the storage, maintenance and care of such cylinder.

You are also opening yourself up to a whole new area of liabililty. I know this seems like over reaction but you have to consider every scenario.

Are you going to keep a log showing daily how much O2 you have?

What size cylinder are you going to buy?

What are you going to do when you run out of O2 on scene and no unit is there yet? Now you have intiated a higher level of care and are unable to continue that level.

Who is going to pay for your refills? It can get quite expensive as O2 gets used up pretty darn quick.

Are you also going to ensure and pay a company to do testing on your cylinder annually so you have proof that it is not faulty and in good working condition?

How often does O2 given on scene really make a difference in patient outcome? The times that O2 would make a difference are generally (not always) times you're bagging/ventilating your patient. Atmospheric oxygen is normally sufficient for the time it takes the appropriate equipment to arrive on scene.

Also, from a liability standpoint you have a whole other can of worms. You become responsible for the care, upkeep, cleaning, and testing of they equipment. If something goes wrong with it, you're on the hook.

Here are a couple of the previous threads:

BLS/Trauma Kit Advice

POV Issues