Bledsoe article: The Vanity of EMS

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The only problem with the article was that although Dr. Bledsoe is one of my great mentors, it was not that long ago that he wanted to develop a CCP program himself. Again, part of the problems is that even the texts he authors is not associated with one or a particular program, rather many non accredited individual programs. Now, with standing he does promote the test of FP-C examination. Yet again is just another title with little merit except those of us that recognize it is a difficult test. One presumably would have to have education and probably experience in critical care.

R/r 911

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
The only problem with the article was that although Dr. Bledsoe is one of my great mentors, it was not that long ago that he wanted to develop a CCP program himself. Again, part of the problems is that even the texts he authors is not associated with one or a particular program, rather many non accredited individual programs. Now, with standing he does promote the test of FP-C examination. Yet again is just another title with little merit except those of us that recognize it is a difficult test. One presumably would have to have education and probably experience in critical care.

R/r 911
But isn't FP-C recognized by many states as an actual extra certification and mandatory to have to work on a helicopter or other air ambulance in some?

If it is, (don't know for sure) then I can see that as being the difference. Honestly, as I read the article, it's not so much about any particular extra cert or license, but about the complete lack of national standards for these things. I mean, if state X requires the UM CCEMTP course for someone to call themselves a Critical Care Paramedic, that fine and they can be locally recognized as one. But if state Y doesn't recognize anything beyond parameduc, then they are just a paramedic who has taken the CCEMTP course. And then toss in state Z, that allows anyone who takes transfers from an ICU to call themselves a Critical Care Paramedic and be recognized locally as such. Now it starts to become meaningless to say that you are a Critical Care Paramedic. Which was what I see the point as being.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I just happened to come across this article on EMS1.com.... Dr. Bledsoe makes some great points and perfect sense on the issue. Great article.

Lone Star

Forum Crew Member
In MI, I was licensed. I'll be licensed in GA soon.

Being 'Nationally registered' only means that you've met a standard national training requirement, and it only facilitates in reciprocity for those states that actually accept the NR training standards.

"Certified" means that you have been shown what to do and how to do it.

"Licensed" means that you've demonstrated the skills to do something.

Just because we hold a license does not give us full autonomy. We still work under the medical directors license.

Even doctors (who hold a license) are held liable to a governing body.

Nurses (LPN, RN, etc) hold licenses.

The thing with licensure, the penalties are much harsher than for those who are certified.

As far as the original post, EMS is too 'title hungry' in general.

IN for example has 5 different 'flavors' of EMT-B, a couple different levels of EMT-I; and then EMT-P.

I personally believe that a standardization of EMS protocols nationwide would be a positive step forward.