"Black Clouds"

MJordan2121

Forum Crew Member
As I was walking in from my shift, I happened to look at our board for the "Call of the Day" and read as I do every day and normally there is only one up there, but for some reason, we had SIX up that day. Turns out, a guy at our company, ran 6 Cardiac Arrests that day, all in a 12-hour shift. We are in a pretty busy area and have, usually, 10 trucks up at a time. He happened to be in the area that got all six of the cardiac calls. Just out of curiosity, anyone else seem to have that kind of black cloud floating over them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
We've got a supervisor at the vollie squad that is referred to as a "s--- magnet".

He's been dispatched for a BLS fall where an elderly subject fell backwards from standing and struck their head on a step... and then the patient had a MASSIVE head injury. When he is dispatched for "MVA Unknown Injuries" you can be assured it will be an entrapment call.

When he goes to calls for "unconscious person" or "unrespsonve person"... PD usually arrives and advises us it will be a code as we pull up.

It is always fun when he's runnng with you... because you get to have the "good" calls... trauma trips, etc.

Jon

housert

Forum Probie
I have only been running for three months and run on Thurs. nights and every fourth weekend. The second run I went on was an ATV accident and the teenager died a week before her prom. The following month, acutally a month to the day, to almost the same time and location we had another ATV accident. We had almost the exact same crew on and almost the exact same people at the ER. Didn't think that he was going to make it to the hospital and then they didn't think he would make the flight to the trauma center but he did (really a true miracle). It was just too weird how everything was almost exactly the same. Lucky for me we didn't have an ATV accident this month on my shift!

A.Anaka

Forum Probie
During my clinical, I had 2 calls happen right in front of the station where I was being precepted. The first was a pretty nasty leg trauma in which a construction worker was backed over by a co-worker driving a 3000 Lb bobcat forklift. He had an open ankle fracture and an obviously fractured femur.

Later in the same day there was a shoot out between 2 young gentle men at the gas station across the street. One of them got hit but they both drove off. In the process of fleeing one of them t-boned a SUV and voila I now have 2 pt's both complaining of neck and back pain.

Due to these unfortunate events I was labeled a black cloud but I am grateful for the experience I earned that day.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
every company has one i believe. ours works on the shifts that i don't thank goodness. on the slow night sometimes i think of tranfering partners for a week/day.

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Funny you should mention that, as i was told about 4 hours ago, again that my response vehicle should rather be painted black. I told the crew that it was not me, but rather the omen of the 3rd year student working with me. He has subsquently been dubbed as the Grim Reaper (Seeing we started the shift of a blue code and ended it of with another one). When i am on my own, i am most likely to bring world peace to Bosnia...

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm more of a black cloud with a silver lining. I have my days where its absolutely silent. But rest assured, on my busy days...the s--- absolutely hits the fan and it's one bad call after another.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh no! her she comes!

Well one would say I was not a black cloud but there could be other nick names! :rolleyes:

IrishMedic

Forum Crew Member
yup, im the black cloud; S**t Magnet; whatever you wanna call it....when im ridin with my partner, we'll be the busiest unit goin, i mean to a point where we get call after call after call when other units are chillin at station....i swear ppl scan the radios wait til we clear a call then dial 999 (ireland) and just all happen to live in our area.....but i love it, we get great calls and get to learn alot, only thing that sucks is irelands protocols are so behind that i really get frustrated...i mean theres tons i have done in the states i cant do here!!!!!

Medic9

Forum Lieutenant
For awhile I was the :censored::censored::censored::censored: magnet and everything comes full circle. For awhile another one of the medics was getting hit with all the crap. My days are either crazy or silent, very rarely do I have day with a "normal" amount of calls.
I need to take a picture of my name badge and use it as my avatar.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
I tend to be the s*hit magnet around here. Always on the last night shift we run our butts off from midnight to 8am. Opps!!!

MDKEMT

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Black cloud, that's me, I've had nurses change days to get away from my shifts, when I do a call in they say omg, not you, divert because of all the bad s--t I bring in! Glad to know I'm not the only one in the world!!!!!1

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
Well as I was going through my EMT-B class about 2.5 months into just before the cardiac lesson. That guy didnt make it. Since I had my certification I haave made two more cardiac arrests, one respiratory distress, and one cardiac that turned DOA, once the medic arrived on scene. And there has been one other member on four of the same calls, so who is the sh*t magnet?!

emtashleyb

Forum Crew Member
I always seemed to make the station go quiet. Even in the middle of fellspoint in baltimore city on a warm saturday night we got nothing. Or I seem to attract all the paitents who are bleeding out their bum. It seemed for a while that was all I got