Bite sticks

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
I've been told recently that they are considered by some providers to be an airway obstruction, I've always been taught to let a seizing pt. seize, just move objects away from them.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Bite sticks are like a lot of other things in EMS... they seemed like a good idea at the time... there was no research that showed they were needed or worked... Same thing with MAST Pants and helicopters :)

Becuase they "seemed like a good idea" lots of places still have them on the required list for stocking rigs... even though they aren't in the protocols anymore. (The left hand doesn't know what the left is doing).

Jon

Be careful, actually studies did not state they were not needed or worked. The studies showed that PASG did not change the outcome, good or bad (neither would a thoracic surgeon on those cases studied). Helicopters does provide rapid transport for those outside metro areas, and are validated as a good thing ; both if used properly. It is helo's are not needed in downtown areas or where rapid transport is not warranted or needed.

p.s. : watch for the return of PASG. New studies, are validating the return in a different procedure and perimeters. I just attended a PHTLS/IHTLS Instructor up-date, and some new things are being considered with all the recent trauma care that has been performed lately.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Be careful, actually studies did not state they were not needed or worked. The studies showed that PASG did not change the outcome, good or bad (neither would a thoracic surgeon on those cases studied). Helicopters does provide rapid transport for those outside metro areas, and are validated as a good thing ; both if used properly. It is helo's are not needed in downtown areas or where rapid transport is not warranted or needed.

p.s. : watch for the return of PASG. New studies, are validating the return in a different procedure and perimeters. I just attended a PHTLS/IHTLS Instructor up-date, and some new things are being considered with all the recent trauma care that has been performed lately.

R/r 911
Cool Rid... I was just using those as examples.

It would be intresting to see the return of the MAST Pants.
But I'm in PA. By the time it is in the protocols... it would be out of style again ;)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Your points were very valid, we definitely need to be sure to base our treatment modalities upon good clinical & scientific evidence. Part of the problem, the evidence keeps changing, thus the reason to keep abreast of the current studies.

R/r 911

skyemt

Forum Captain
Not sure why there is such a negative bias towards helicopters these days...

where i am, trip to the trauma center via helicopter is about 15 minutes, instead of 50 minutes on the ground...

yet i see so many who claim they "don't work"...

i can only assume it's due to overuse in more metro areas?

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Why they sell them? Some idiot bought a lot of them and now are trying to get rid of them. There are enough whackers that buy them. Personally have not seen them for decades, they used to be popular that every EMT would carry in their scissor pouch.

The treatment is attempt to prevent injuries, in other words .. leave them alone and protect them. I have NEVER seen a total lacerated tongue caused by seizures. I have seen fractured teeth, broken dentures caused by poor rescuers placing objects in their mouth.

Some have used a portion of an oral airway for a bite block, but again monitoring the patient.

R/r 911

Man I recall those green things from the 80's you made me laugh we all did carry them with our shears... You are exactly right. :p

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure why there is such a negative bias towards helicopters these days...

where i am, trip to the trauma center via helicopter is about 15 minutes, instead of 50 minutes on the ground...

yet i see so many who claim they "don't work"...

i can only assume it's due to overuse in more metro areas?

I'm sure Rid can tell you, years ago we would only fly true truma cases anymore we seem to fly them if the have a hang nail... :rolleyes: Seems it's the thing to do.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
In first aid I've always taught the two rules of Seizure treatment.. remove all obstacles, and don't become an obstacle.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Wow, what a considence:

I was restockign the ambulance (this morning- 3AM after a call) and in the supply room found an old bite stick! It said "seizure stick" and it was in a torn plastic wrap bag. Looked ancient!

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Wow, what a considence:

I was restockign the ambulance (this morning- 3AM after a call) and in the supply room found an old bite stick! It said "seizure stick" and it was in a torn plastic wrap bag. Looked ancient!

Keep it....it may be a collector's item one day ;)

J

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
No No No...

We teach the public to stay clear of a "seizing-mouth" and continiously try and teach them not to push that spoon down their mouths... but hey, why don't we just throw away the bite stick and use a spoon!?

As mentioned, you cannot swallow your tongue... it can fall back, therefore turn lateral.

We don't carry bite sticks at all...no need for it.
Ops Paramedic said:
Why they are still being manufactured? Someone is still buying them.