Bike EMS

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
I'll take the bike...anytime!

May as well go all out...
Unit66.gif

OHMYGOSH!!!!!! :rolleyes: You only need one of those in your garage...it can climb over everything else!

We are a BLS-First Response bike team working special events such as the Twin Cities Marathon, City of Lakes Tri-Loppet and the Lifetime Fitness Triathalon, as well as MTB races. Three of our local EMS services have bikes, but they have to stay in their designated Primary Response Districts. As non-affiliated volunteers, we can cross those lines as needed.

We carry a AEDs, light trauma stuff, portable suction, BVM and, on urban (paved street) events, O2.

Twin Cities Marathon:
TCM1.jpg

This woman staggered in front of me, and was insisting she was okay, but dropped out of the race at the next aid station.

The very best Bike Medic on-bike training (and yes, you do need it! Everyone thinks they know how to ride a bike until you throw 40 lbs of BLS/ALS gear on the back and try to manuver through 10,000 moving runners.) is the International Police Mountain Bike Association (IPMBA). (www.ipmba.org) Even the oldest bike medic team in the country, Denver EMS' All Terrain Medical Unit, just put all of their riders through IPMBA EMS Cyclist certification.

Ride safe,
Trailpatrol

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
''With all this traffic, I was surprised, they got here really quickly,'' said Alexander Garcia, 21, sitting on the guardrail with a neck brace on, waiting for the ambulance.

hahaha what seems wrong here... hmmm

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
Rolling Patient Assessment?

Anybody have any sort of established protocol for long-distance running events to guage a runner's condition as you ride by them?

I watch for an irregular pace, staggering or shuffling, extreme diaphoresis or lack of of sweating, dried salt/sweat on the skin, fixed gaze and how they respond when I ask if they are doing okay. Late race (22-26 miles) water vomiting is a good sign for early hypernatremia, too.

Anybody have any other ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Philbrick

Forum Probie
Bike Medics

Interesting concept,

What do you use these bikes for? Are they only for special events or are they used for regular work as well.

How about a Motorcycle Ambulance:

http://www.defrance.org/artman/publish/article_1354.shtml

Regards,

IAN

Now that I see my message at the end of the THIRD page, most of my questions have ben answered.

Any comments on regular service though?

IAN

Attachments

• ranger-ambo2.jpg
    ranger-ambo2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:

Trailpatrol

Forum Crew Member
EMS Bike Teams

Here are some links to EMS bike teams around the country and Canada. Most services have used them primarily for special events, particularly with large crowds. Boston, Baton Rouge and a few other cities have done routine "patrol" in busy areas like marketplaces. We are part of the National Mountain Bike Patrol (www.nmbp.org) (like the National Ski Patrol without the skis) so our function outside of special events is trail patrol and mountain bike advocacy. The EMS-based bike teams around here (MN Twin Cities) use bike for special event coverage.

Original EMS Bike Medics-Denver, CO: http://www.denverems.org/atmu.html

Lee County EMS, FL: http://www.lee-ems.com/ems/bike/default.htm

Portland, OR Fire-Paramedics: http://www.portlandfire.com/medcu.htm

London, England Ambulance Service: http://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/index.html

4_Cycle_Response_Unit.jpg

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have seen Boston EMS' bike EMTs before-- at the Boston Marathon.
What i am most interested in (because I am an owner), BEMS attempt at the Segway HT for EMTs. For those of you who dont know what it is, the Segway is a two-wheeled human transporter. It looks a lot like a scooter, but it isnt. The rider stands up straight and leans forward indicating to the machine to move forward. The same works for moving back.
The advantages of the Segway include: being able to see above the crowd, being able to carry more equip then a bike, only taking up the footprint of a person (in terms of space on the ground), and being able to move among the crowd quickly.
SegwayEMT-thumb.jpg

BEMS tried it, but it didnt work out for them:
http://www.bostonems.com/GalSegway.htm

I am still convinced that they are the vehicle of the future.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Our Red Cross Chapter is now forming its FAST teams. (First Aid Station Team) We're looking to do many public events, including a big sail boat race in July. We're looking to have at least two first aid stations, some mobile people on either bikes or golf carts, oh and yes, we will have water rescue teams.

Should be interesting.

I miss doing first aid stations at special events but we got away from that cuz of liability reasons. When we were at events 2 of us would go out and walk around carrying a jump bag just in case we came up on something.

mfrjason

Forum Lieutenant
Is asking for a hot female EMT or medic in bike shorts too much?

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
all i can really think of, off hand, to have on a bike, is well.... a beautiful male medic in biking shorts. is that too much to ask?!:blush:

Me in spandex would have to be reported to FEMA as an imminent disaster with potentially catastrophic results (if the spandex failed) :p

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
google scems. Sussex county ems in Delaware. They have a very active bike team and do a great job. They would be glad to talk to anyone about their program.

Short Bus

Forum Crew Member
I am on the bike team in our county. We do a lot of events, sports tournys, charity walks, and festivals. 5ks and the like. We have Trek 4100s for bikes. They are pretty nice as far as what we used to have. We carry all the basic and advanced airway equipment. O2 in an A tank. An AED. IV supplies. Glucometer. A ton of bandainds. Ice packs. Front line cardiac meds. It works very well in large crowds and places that are really spread out. We do a 5 mile ride 2 times a year plus what you ride during events. You have to do the 5 mile ride in 30 minutes or less. It is not too bad. Good luck on bringing your team back up.