Best way to find a County paramedic job?

lakersmedic

Forum Probie
I have been a paramedic for over a year now on a private and a POC FD. I am looking to get a county EMS job. I am not picky will go anywhere in the USA to find a County EMS job, or even a big city. Just want to get out of the private ambulance. I am looking for help......either a good website, or juat any good advice on the best way to find these job openings. Thanks.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Apply for the paramedic (pool) position here:

https://jobsweb.charlestoncounty.org/hronline/public/vacancylisting.aspx

When I worked there, you're eligible (and expected) to promote to crew chief. It wasn't my cup of tea, but you may do well there.

When I got hired by them, I applied, Capt McGeorge contacted me, I took their entrance exam at a testing center, and then scheduled an interview. I was required to bring all my certs including my NR-P, which is required for reciprocity, as well as my state driving record and criminal background check. I flew down for an interview, and was contacted for the job offer about a week later. The entire process from online app to job offer was approx 5-6 weeks. They were running county orientations every two weeks, and send you to their medical/physical after hire, before orientation. After that first day, you're in the station working with a crew chief for six months as your probationary period.

If it doesn't work out for you, MUSC and Roper are both great IFT hospital based EMS systems to work for as well. Many CCEMS medics have been lured away to work for these hospitals. They typically work 3 12's a week and some OT, at a higher pay rate than the county. Better working conditions than the county as well.

I'll even give you a decent place to live:

http://www.traditionapts.net/

I'd also recommend Mt Pleasant if you can find somewhere affordable.

reaper

Working Bum
To add, You can get reciprocity with a state license and then have up to one year to acquire you NREMT.