Best CA companies for experience

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone, I am two weeks away from graduating my EMT course at UCLA. I live in LA currently but am willing to relocate anywhere in CA for an EMT job that would give me real experience and a variety of calls. I would prefer to work part-time because I plan to go to school while working ems. I am not worried about pay, I just want to be able to become the best emt I can and be proficient in ems. I read some threads about Kern County, but can’t find an opening as a part-time EMT. I would live to treat many different patients from medical to trauma, severe or mild. I am very eager to learn as much as I can. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In all reality any 911 ambulance company outside of LA and OC county will get you good experience. Kern county, Riverside county, San Bernardino county, and other counties in the Central Valley.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Texas

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The other California!

Texas is pretty amazing. Lots of variety and opportunities.

Failing that though, OP, if you’re wanting to stay in SoCal, Kern County or Riverside are likely your best bets. If you’re wanting a career in EMS, get your medic quickly.

Attachments

• EE5EB646-4EE1-416B-AD49-CEFA26DAF8C5.jpeg
    EE5EB646-4EE1-416B-AD49-CEFA26DAF8C5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Who says Hall doesn’t hire PT? I don’t know if they do or don’t ATM. It seems to vary upon multiple factors at any given point and time.

Preferring to vs. wanting “valuable EMS experience”- you may just have to choose which takes precedence in your life currently. Bakersfield is still considered SoCal to some since it’s really not that far from LA.

You can also reduce yourself to PT rather quickly it seems. As an EMT your choices become a bit limited. I don’t condone back burning school for field experience, but sometimes a fair compromise can still be achieved.

I would call the front office and ask to speak to HR directly.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks you guys! I decided that I want to gain more experience hands on and feel like it is more beneficial for me since I want to be a CCT RN in the future. I am planning to do Full-Time EMT and Full-Time or Part-Time school depending on my work schedule. If anyone has done that before, how was it? Is it doable? Or too exhausting?

Also, I am not familiar with EMS systems in CA, does anyone know companies that are always hiring or currently hiring or that I can apply to as an EMT-B that can give me valuable EMS experience?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hall offers all of the things that you are inquiring about, to include your end goal- a CCT program.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Do you have any advice on getting hired with them?
I’m sure it’s been beat to death by myself and others in the “HALL AMBULANCE” thread on here (employment sub forum, IIRC).

Have you held any gainful employment prior to EMT class? Bonus if you have any prior customer service skills. Aside from that, typical interview stuff I would imagine.

If you’re truly interested in becoming a CCT nurse, I certainly wouldn’t be shy about that end goal. Chances are one of the administrators that may do your interview would be our former CCT programs manager.

All new hires are sent to the airport as part of the new hire orientation. So if hired, chances of you running into our current program manager are highly likely.*

It’s a more refreshing goal than most of the candidates that they hire, so I would not be shy about it.

*He’s also our CFN, pretty approachable, and was an EMT prior to being a flight nurse/ program manager.

EMT Rookie

Forum Probie
There’s no replacement for real-world experience. That’s something no amount of education could ever replace and unfortunately what I’m learning is that there is no hope for ever gaining any meaningful experience in LA or Orange County. Riverside County is where all the action is at right now if you can hire on with AMR.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Tulare County, just north of Kern County is also a good area to get experience in. Imperial Ambulance is currently hiring part time, and I believe several others probably are as well.

OP
OP
S

SanJoseEmt

Forum Crew Member
I have not looked into ER Tech, not familiar with what they do. I mostly have been preoccupied with looking more into ambulance jobs because working in an ambulance is what I prefer.

However, can you tell me more about ER Tech, if you thats okay with you?

justatech

Forum Ride Along
In most emergency room settings the ER Tech basically functions as an EMT B assisting upper level providers and making sure the department has what it needs to keep the patient flow moving. Of course the skills used and freedom given can vary and be more CNA than EMT depending on the facility. Some ER's want medics as techs and some like mine are good with basics. In my intercity level one we help receive ambulances,get patients undressed,gowned,on monitor and O's if needed. We do EKG's,POC testing,blood draws,splinting,wound irrigation and dressing,assist with advanced procedures like fracture reductions and splinting,lumbar punctures and suturing. After that its a lot of stocking,transporting and trying to stay two moves ahead of your RNs. The real benefit of the position is the on going education you can receive with every shift,someone is always willing to answer your questions and teach. The attitudes seem much more positive and I find the people are happier in the ER, You also may find yourself involved with a patient doing things that you would never do in the field even at the medic level. In most ER's your certification level is a mute point because you work under the supervision of an RN with the hospital deciding what you can do. You mentioned that money is not a big issue but I have to say the pay for techs is usually much better than working in the field. My employer starts techs at 17.00 p/hr and the top scale is 23.50 p/hr plus a shift differential of 1.50 for evenings and 2.50 for nights. Hope I helped you out and if you have any more questions feel free to ask

Last edited: