Being Nervous

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. So, I'm a little over half way done with my emt course. It annoys me that when I get tested on practicals in front of the instructors my hands tend to shake a little bit. I know what I'm doing, but I just show visible signs of being nervous. Autonomic nervous system in drive. Any tips in how to relax when it comes to being tested in front of an instructor?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Chill out? Don't smoke crack before class ;) just kidding.

Take a deep breath, count to 10 and let it out before the practical. No one is judging you, well ok they are, but in a constructive way.

Slow your thoughts down, use a methodical approach, RELAX prehospital medicine at the Basic level isn't rocket science. Hell even at the paramedic level it isn't rocket science. You can know everything when it comes to books, but practical application is where it really counts. Trust your knowledge and abilities, you'll get it.

If you don't get nervous in some situations you don't belong in this field. It's how you control your nervousness that matters. My paramedic instructor always says "Like a duck on water. Calm on the surface but feet moving a million miles an hour under the surface."

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
Good job NVRob! Better than what I was going to put...lol

I was going to say drink a 6 pack :rofl:

Calichic

Forum Probie
Hey guys. So, I'm a little over half way done with my emt course. It annoys me that when I get tested on practicals in front of the instructors my hands tend to shake a little bit. I know what I'm doing, but I just show visible signs of being nervous. Autonomic nervous system in drive. Any tips in how to relax when it comes to being tested in front of an instructor?

I just finished, I had nerves too especially when it came up to National skills testing I just blocked everyone out of my mind focused on the pt and passed
I know easier said then done but I just look at the pt and proctor instead of everyone else
for me it made me more nervous looking at everyone staring at me but if I didnt look at them it was easier to the point I was able to block them out and ease up a bit good luck!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Just slow down and take it easy. Take a deep breath and just make sure that you know what you're doing, the shaking will eventually go away. Hell, I had the same problem when I first started, my hands were shaking during my first RSI, but one of my fellow medics just looked and me and said "remember, just take it slow" and that seemed to help me a lot. So, just take it slow I guess, it'll go away eventually. :ph34r:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've been in EMS for 3 years, 18 months as a Paramedic, meaning i've been tested out the wazoo on my skills.

I still get really nervous during practical scenarios...

OP
OP
IronClaud

IronClaud

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for all the advice guys. You are all awesome. Im going to try to relax and. Take deep breaths.

NeverSatisfied~NorCal

Forum Crew Member
I like the 6pack or maybe a good shot of tequila :lol:

A woman after my own heart :p

and I like your emphasis on [You]good[/You] :beerchug:

Simusid

Forum Captain
Take a deep breath, count to 10 and let it out before the practical. No one is judging you, well ok they are, but in a constructive way.

Slow your thoughts down, use a methodical approach, RELAX prehospital medicine at the Basic level isn't rocket science. Hell even at the paramedic level it isn't rocket science.

I actually AM a rocket scientist in my day job and for my first year I was nervous as hell. What got me through it was my excellent co-workers. I would say that everybody knows that everybody is nervous when they first start and especially the stressfull testing.

The thing that helped me personally during the practical tests was when I was able to help my classmates who were more nervous than I was. We would team up in practice sessions (after class) and do the skill stations. Once I was sure I could confidently (and correctly) grade another student when they did a skill then I was ready to properly do it myself.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Worth repeating!

The thing that helped me personally during the practical tests was when I was able to help my classmates who were more nervous than I was. We would team up in practice sessions (after class) and do the skill stations. Once I was sure I could confidently (and correctly) grade another student when they did a skill then I was ready to properly do it myself.

When you're down it's always good to find someone who's downer than you and really help them.