Beginners’ Luck

xgpt

Forum Crew Member
Lots of things about Trauma are myths, but if you work in a big city like New York or parts of North Jersey, you can pretty much run all day long.

How is trauma a myth? Do people not get hurt in the real world?

JCEMTB

Forum Crew Member
For my hospital clinicals I had a CHF patient code 7 times while I was there, they ended up putting a balloon pump in. Uhhh, besides that, my hospital hours were dull. Minus one psych patient.

My ride alongs...mostly transfers, about 2 OD's, 1 stabbing. One of my 12 hour shifts we received TWO calls...and I was on a MICU too.

Still had a blast!

curt

Forum Crew Member

I think they're talking about that worthless MSNBC TV show that got canceled. (Didn't it?)

reaper

Working Bum

Students and new basics have this expectation of massive traumas. They dont happen very often. You may get one a year that is even worthy to be called "trauma".

Concentrate on the medical Pt's. They are the ones that will make you know why you are there and why you want to do this job.

esmcdowell

Forum Crew Member
Got to see our system's annual HALDOL use on my first ride along in basic class, called for 84 y/o male acting strange, two medics confirm CVA/TIA suspicion, we tell the man that he needs to go to the hospital, and he explodes, it took 5 of us and 10 mg of haldol to restrain him.

EMSBLONDIE24

Forum Probie
First call ever was an overdose. Load unconscious teenager into ambulance and suddenly teenager was conscious and the walls were covered in colors... and they weren't pretty... :wacko: Quickly got any qualms I might have EVER had about vomit out the way

thinkABC

Forum Probie
Now's as good a place/time as any for me to introduce myself. I just finished my class and clinicals/rideouts in the DFW area. I am one National Registry test away from being a TX certified EMT-B.

My first call.....I knew the very first call would be a harbinger of my entire EMS career. Maybe. I was pretty nervous riding to it, and it was a real long ride, so I had more time to get worked up. There's nothing like being in the back of that ambulance and hearing the sirens for the first time.....

Anyway. Dispatched to unknown medical, way out in the middle of nowhere. Get there, knock on the door. No answer. Start yelling, "Hello!" Still no answer. Open the door and keep yelling. Then we see a list posted a mile long of medical conditions, medications, etc. Enter residence and start looking around, not sure what we're about to find. Look in every corner and closet. No patient. By now the phone is ringing. We look outside, look in the shed, everywhere. No patient. Finally one of my partners answers the phone. Just as he does, someone pulls up in front of the house. We go up and talk to her; she's our patient. She accidentally pushed her medic alert button while away from her house. Call cleared.

It was really anticlimactic, just like the rest of my rideouts.