Begin FF training in 2 weeks!!

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
Yup just as the title says! Haha. I'm gonna begin firefighter training in 2 weeks. It's through my highschool, because we have a local skillscenter for juniors and seniors and they offer all types of training for different professions for free. It's a great program, so I've heard. haha.

My nextdoor neighbor took the class at the skills center when she was a junior I think and now she's continued her training after highschool - I think mainly as a FF.

Anyway, I'm pretty nervous! Lol. There will probably be mostly boys in my class and I only know one kid from my school who's going - luckily I have a pretty good friendship with him so it won't be awkward...I just hope he'll help me. :p

one of the cool things is that the program will give us the information we need to take our State test to become a First Responder. :D

So any advice, ya think? I'm kinda freaking out that I won't be able to carry the oxygen tank...I'm like 5'4" and weigh like 100 lbs...so I'm pretty small...haha. Will I be able to do it?

Emily

Last edited by a moderator:

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire academy for juniors and seniors?

What kind of training is this? Fire I and II? or just some training?

kecpercussion

Forum Lieutenant
Just workout and bulk up. Thats my only advice, and don't be nervous!

OP
OP
FutureParamedic609

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
Fire academy for juniors and seniors?

What kind of training is this? Fire I and II? or just some training?

I'm unsure. I think it's just training. It's not really a fire academy...lol.

kecpercussion - Thanks. I will have to work on that. lol. I know that we do running in the class...at least I was told that by someone else who's friend took the class....But I'm sure we will be doing some work out stuff, too. ;)

Emily

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm unsure. I think it's just training. It's not really a fire academy...lol.

kecpercussion - Thanks. I will have to work on that. lol. I know that we do running in the class...at least I was told that by someone else who's friend took the class....But I'm sure we will be doing some work out stuff, too. ;)

Emily

What does the training entail?

OP
OP
FutureParamedic609

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
What does the training entail?

It includes prelimanary training to become a paid or volly FF (after course completion) as well as the preparation needed to take the state written exam for First Responder certification, we'll learn about safe equipment operation including emergency vehicles, specialty power tools, emergency medical apparatus and more. (that's straight from the website ;))

Emily

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I think I get what your talking about. I think it is more of a program to give an introduction to the fire service. Not really an academy but more of a this is the fire service.

Good luck and have fun. Study and learn and remember the medical information. Don't just do what I did in high school and remember it for the test then forget it.

OP
OP
FutureParamedic609

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
I think I get what your talking about. I think it is more of a program to give an introduction to the fire service. Not really an academy but more of a this is the fire service.

Good luck and have fun. Study and learn and remember the medical information. Don't just do what I did in high school and remember it for the test then forget it.

Yeah that's what it is ;)

Thanks for the info. ;) I will try my best to remember all the info! lol.
I'm wondering if we will get books...do you need books for a fire class?

Emily

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Sounds like an explorer program. Enjoy!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Don't worry, your not in college yet so they should have all the books you need.

bunkie

Forum Asst. Chief
Yup just as the title says! Haha. I'm gonna begin firefighter training in 2 weeks. It's through my highschool, because we have a local skillscenter for juniors and seniors and they offer all types of training for different professions for free. It's a great program, so I've heard. haha.

My nextdoor neighbor took the class at the skills center when she was a junior I think and now she's continued her training after highschool - I think mainly as a FF.

Anyway, I'm pretty nervous! Lol. There will probably be mostly boys in my class and I only know one kid from my school who's going - luckily I have a pretty good friendship with him so it won't be awkward...I just hope he'll help me. :p

one of the cool things is that the program will give us the information we need to take our State test to become a First Responder. :D

So any advice, ya think? I'm kinda freaking out that I won't be able to carry the oxygen tank...I'm like 5'4" and weigh like 100 lbs...so I'm pretty small...haha. Will I be able to do it?

Emily

Emily, I think this is wonderful and I wish you all the best.
I am not nearly as small as you but I'm on the smaller side. I recommend weight training, build that muscle up. You'll stay slim but with the benefit of strength. I often surprise people with what I'm capable of doing at just under 5'8 and 150. ^_^

OP
OP
FutureParamedic609

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member

FireWA1, I know that the nursing students have to buy their books...my sister is taking the class. (She's borrowing books from a student who there last year, though.) So I don't know if we'll have books or not....

We had orientation today and I found out:
1. We will be off campus from the skills center at a fire station...duh haha.
2. Another boy from my school is also taking the class - he's about the same height as me...no idea how much he weighs :p
3. I have to have a ride up to the fire station, because the bus only goes to the skills center...so I'm hoping my guy friend whom I mentioned in the OP will be able to give me a ride there and back. He wasn't at school today so I have to find out some way to get ahold of him before it's too late. :p
4. We have an hour of exercise (i think everyday?); running, ropes courses...building up muscle and getting really fit. Yayyyy..haha I knew I should of worked out this summer! :p
5. The class should be pretty small since not a lot of people are interested in it (almost got my friend to switch into it with me but she doesn't want to do all the running and going into burning buildings :p)

I also found out from my art teacher that cereal isn't a good breakfast since it's just sugar and I'm gonna need protein, etc. etc. so I have to get some healthier food for breakfast that way I have more energy, etc. :)

First day is on Sep. 9th. I'm both excited and scared. lol. We're getting trained by firefighters (of course) and I might recognize a few of them because a) one of them is my neighbor (I don't know if she is just a volly or full time? I found out she's an EMT though...) and b) when we had a wildfire in our backyard a few weeks ago the firefighters that were putting it out were from the station we'll be training at.

So...that's the latest rundown. lol.
Now I have to e-mail the instructor, figure out if I didn't get any paperwork that I was supposed to get (because at first I was enrolled in the wrong program); e-mail my neighbor and ask her some stuff, like tips/advice about the class; and figure out a way to get ahold of my friend! He ignores my myspace messages most the time, and I don't have his cell number. lol. Oh...and tell him that I'm in that class since he doesn't know. :p

Emily

OP
OP
FutureParamedic609

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
UPDATE:

So today was our first day of class.
I was a little nervous but once I got there I was ok. I was first one there so the lieutenant had me put down some more tables and chairs since we have 26 kids in our class! ha. It's huge! There's 6 of us from my school, including me of course. ;)

Lieu. gave us basic orientation about what to wear/what not to wear. Told us to bring shorts and sneakers to run in tomorrow (yay...I'm sick. Won't this be fun!?!) and then we went out side and played "Out/In" Which we had to stand on a line and when she would say "in" or "out" we would have to jump "in" or "out" of the "fire." It was pretty fun. :) It started raining so she didn't have us run...which I thought was kind of weird but oh well! No running!

Went back inside and we got in groups of 2; We had to stand back to back, link arms and squat. There's only me and one other girl in the class, and both the instructors are girls; so I was paired up with a boy for the squats and yeah...I don't weigh that much so I was doing ok at first and such and we weren't the first group down or anything. Then we had to do square-pushups or 4-Man pushups. That was trickier since my arms have like no muscle and it was hard for me to push up with the kids' legs on my back! haha. But we weren't the first group down and I was so happy! (mainly we stayed up because the guys were taking their weight off my back :p them silly cheaters. I didnt tell them too either, ;))

So yeah I'm super sore! My shoulders are the worst. I'm going to get into an at-home training schedule so then I can get stronger and all. I'm going to do 25 pushups every day for the first couple weeks; then add weight to my back/upper shoulders so then I can get better at 4-Man pushups. Plus, I'm going to run 8+ laps around my acre on the weekends (or at the beach when I go there; i'll run like a mile or more, etc.) so then I can get back into running shape.. I haven't had PE since like my soph. year. :p

So yeah that was today. :) I will let ya'll know how tomorrow goes!

Emily