Basic to Intermediate

Babalu

Forum Probie
So I'm a basic living in southshore NH, and struggling to find any work, even as a stair char operator. I know for a fact I've looked into everything, and i'm constantly calling back looking for a break to get in but alas nothing.

I've been certified nationally since early April, state certified only recently, and very limited on scene experience with my volunteer dept which has a very low call volume. So I know people say you need experience first, but it feels like a lose lose scenario here. Getting experience is very stressful, but people only ever seem to hire Medics while Basics are bursting at the seams.

Is it conceivable for me with little experience to jump into an Intermediate course that starts June 1st and be able to tough it out? Assuming I am successful and i'm an intermediate by August, would that help my chances for finding a job considerably? To me that's really what matters, is I have something on my resume to get me hired, but experience is not something that will come any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
Well that was my original plan when I first took my Basic class but everyone has told me that it's not a very good idea to do zero to hero. I figure even without much experience, going basic to Int. is a lot easier. If no one had told me otherwise I would have gone straight to Medic, because that's what I want to do.

John E

Forum Captain
Why...

waste the time, money and effort to take an intermediate class when you want to become a Paramedic?

I've never seen an occupation so fixated on doing things the way EMS does them and for no quantifiable reason.

Lawyers don't have to work at the law library before they get to become lawyers.

Doctors don't have to work as orderlies before they go to med school.

Engineers don't have to start out sweeping the shop floor.

IT folks don't have to start out fixing calculators.

If you truly want to be something, work towards that goal and stop thinking that you have to stop at all the intermediate steps along the way.

If you want to be a Paramedic, go take the classes, do the work and become one, you've only got so much time in this life, don't waste any more of it.

John E

P.S. who are these "everyone" who's telling you this nonsense? I'm guessing it's folks who didn't go to Paramedic school when they wanted to.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
Well none that I know of were actually Medics. My EMS coordinator dropped out of Medic school because he needed money, so he got his Int. instead. My instructor told me the same thing, but he was never a Medic either, just a very experienced Intermediate I think. I probably heard it from some others, but those are the ones I remember directly.

John E

Forum Captain
So...

some people who didn't or wouldn't or couldn't go to Paramedic school are telling you that you shouldn't either.

Hmmm...

There are 2 kinds of people that you can surround yourself with, those who encourage and those who discourage. You get to decide who's better for you.

John E

OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
I get exactly what you're saying, but the reasoning I get from people is that if you don't have BLS nailed down, you'll rely too much on ALS to treat people. Anyone on the forum happen to do the zero to hero?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I get exactly what you're saying, but the reasoning I get from people is that if you don't have BLS nailed down, you'll rely too much on ALS to treat people. Anyone on the forum happen to do the zero to hero?

I did, some 15 years ago and it was no cake walk but it worked for me. I did volly during Medic class, worked and had kids to raise. Still managed to do really well.

If someone asked me today I'd say; if it suits your lifestyle to do Spec first, then do it. Some of the best partners I've ever had are Specs. Good luck in whatever direction you head.

John E

Forum Captain
Let me see if I understand this...

a doctor is called to the ER to see a patient and decides to use knowledge,science, and the 12 plus years of his/her's education to determine the course of treatment. Guy who dropped out of Paramedic school rolls up in an ambulance and bravely uses everything he learned in his advanced first aid class to treat the patient because he doesn't want to rely on using knowledge he doesn't have.

I'm only an EMT-B so maybe I'm too stupid to understand how "relying"on advanced life support procedures and knowledge to save the life of a patient is somehow a bad thing. I guess using ALL the skills one learns, BLS as well as ALS is out of the question.

Yeah I get that.

If you truly believe what these folks are telling you, this is simply pointless.

Good luck to you.

John E

OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
a doctor is called to the ER to see a patient and decides to use knowledge,science, and the 12 plus years of his/her's education to determine the course of treatment. Guy who dropped out of Paramedic school rolls up in an ambulance and bravely uses everything he learned in his advanced first aid class to treat the patient because he doesn't want to rely on using knowledge he doesn't have.

I'm only an EMT-B so maybe I'm too stupid to understand how "relying"on advanced life support procedures and knowledge to save the life of a patient is somehow a bad thing. I guess using ALL the skills one learns, BLS as well as ALS is out of the question.

Yeah I get that.

If you truly believe what these folks are telling you, this is simply pointless.

Good luck to you.

John E

No need to get touchy. I just happen to be of the opinion that it doesn't hurt to take the advice of people who know what they're talking about it, as where I do not.

John E

Forum Captain
I'm about as far from touchy...

as anyone can be.

I'm a realist.

And the reality is that the people who are giving you advice aren't doing you any favors telling you the kind of nonsense you've relayed here.

You posted here looking for advice and you got some.

Like I said before, life is short. Too short to waste listening to people explain why you shouldn't do something rather than attempt to help you to do it.

Good luck.

John E

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Get your MA ticket and work in MA. Also, skip the intermediate and go to medic school.

Pneumothorax

Forum Lieutenant
Ex use my vernacular but what's this zero to hero crap you keep talking about- your going to let a educational decison be made by advice given to uby medic drop outs? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. Seriously.

In Miami , there is no emt-I it's basic and then paramedic. I think the main thing I's can't give are narcotics. But they do IVs meds tubes etc. Screw what those numbnuts are telling u and do what u want.

I agree that u should have u basic skill mastered butttttt the funnny thing is when u do megacodes and scenarios youll still have to use avpu abcs sample opqrst and all that. 98.99999999999999% of ur work as a medic will use BASIC skills, so don't sweat it!

OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
Not sure why it seemed so obvious to the people I talked to about this, but not to anyone on this forum but I guess there's always another side to it.

I felt the emt-i was logical because it's only 3 months long, and I figured that right away I could use that to boost my resume, and more likely to get on an ALS truck instead of a BLS one. But from what I know about Medic school, is that it's about 2 years long and that it takes enough of your time that you can't work at the same time. I'm thinking in the scope of solving my job situation in the near future, and not 2 years from now where in the mean time I still don't have a job. I might have misconceptions on what Medic school is, but that's what I've been told.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
No need to get touchy. I just happen to be of the opinion that it doesn't hurt to take the advice of people who know what they're talking about it, as where I do not.

Heres the thing: You can generally assume that anyone in EMS and spends their off time on an EMS forum talking about EMS cares a bit about their career.

Neither of those two people you named are medics and as such cannot comment on medic school and whats best for it.

I went from Basic straight to Medic the next time class started, and im now a baby medic.

My advice in these types of threads is always the same: Do whats best and most comfortable for you. If thats waiting, than wait. If its diving right it, than do that.

But dont be misguided by others who dont have the title saying whats best to get the title: they dont have a leg to stand on.

Youre getting some pretty sound and time tested advice from several here, least you can, and should, do is give it some good thought.

Best of luck to ya :)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure why it seemed so obvious to the people I talked to about this, but not to anyone on this forum but I guess there's always another side to it.

I felt the emt-i was logical because it's only 3 months long, and I figured that right away I could use that to boost my resume, and more likely to get on an ALS truck instead of a BLS one. But from what I know about Medic school, is that it's about 2 years long and that it takes enough of your time that you can't work at the same time. I'm thinking in the scope of solving my job situation in the near future, and not 2 years from now where in the mean time I still don't have a job. I might have misconceptions on what Medic school is, but that's what I've been told.

Forget what everyone else has to say. What is your capability financially and otherwise right now? If experience and tuition funds are low, Intermediate is still advancing your skill level. If you want to take it at a slower pace and take a good A/P class while trying to get a little experience, great! It's well wirth the time and money spent.

People need to stop discouraging and be encouraging. It makes much more sense for a person to take his time and get it right than lose 10 grand because he swallowed some bullied advise from strangers. Good luck.

OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
Forget what everyone else has to say. What is your capability financially and otherwise right now? If experience and tuition funds are low, Intermediate is still advancing your skill level. If you want to take it at a slower pace and take a good A/P class while trying to get a little experience, great! It's well wirth the time and money spent.

People need to stop discouraging and be encouraging. It makes much more sense for a person to take his time and get it right than lose 10 grand because he swallowed some bullied advise from strangers. Good luck.

I appreciate where you're coming from here, makes it easier to balance the two options. Hey, an EMT with social skills. Go figure, huh?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I appreciate where you're coming from here, makes it easier to balance the two options. Hey, an EMT with social skills. Go figure, huh?

Well "wirth"???? My skills need a little spell check application :wacko: Oh, is the course an I-85 or I-99? East coast could be either.

OP
OP
B

Babalu

Forum Probie
Well "wirth"???? My skills need a little spell check application :wacko: Oh, is the course an I-85 or I-99? East coast could be either.

It's an I-85. I had to look up what the difference was, but I guess the I-99 course is much longer/more expensive because of the extra skills?