Basic EMT course for Boston area..

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
Hello I want to know if a Basic -Emt course for 2 or 3 weeks exists in Massachusetts? I did find a school in California that offers a 2 week intense program so I guess it does exist, http://www.caems-academy.com/emtb.htm. I am not living in the Boston area anymore, but I am going to be coming back this year for a few weeks or months and that is something I would like to possibly check out while I am there. Thank you

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife.com.

I can't advise whether or not Mass. has a program like this, but if you're completely new to EMS think long and hard before you commit to a program like this. There's a lot of information that is going to be presented to you, and rushing through it will not allow for all of it to sink in, in my opinion.

You also mentioned that you will be in Boston for a few weeks or months. Are you going to stay in Mass. after that? If you'll be moving to a new state you may want to wait until you settle down to take the course, as not all state certs. transfer from one to another.

Just some things to keep in mind.

Chimp

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Good advice, if you want to get a job or even thinking of a career in EMS. Shake and bake courses are NOT respected among peers in EMS. Take your time and go a thorough class to learn as much as you can.

R/r 911

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
im not sure i want to make a career out of it , i just want to learn the basics..

i am not living in the us anymore but i do come back quite often, and i would like to learn the basics. a emt-b degree would be useless where i'm living..

thanks for the replies

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I opted for the accelerated academy-style course. We met from 9:00 - 5:00 PM M-F and on one weekend. I couldn't imagine it going any faster. When it was all said and done, the course ending up being a couple of months long and 300+ hours of training.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
im not sure i want to make a career out of it , i just want to learn the basics..

i am not living in the us anymore but i do come back quite often, and i would like to learn the basics. a emt-b degree would be useless where i'm living..
I have to ask: Why are you interested in getting your EMT-B cert?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

thanks for the replies

Couple of things, first emt-b is not a degree. Second, before spending any time, money check into some things about a career like any other profession.

Look on the Internet for job descriptions, working conditions, hours, salary ranges, and even job opportunity in your area.
Meet and discuss with professional that do this on a regular basis. You might be able to do a "ride a long" to see the real "job". If the image and portrayal, is from watching television show, then you are smart having doubts, in reality it is not even similar. In reality it is about 90% boredom and 10% shear terror.

I applaud you investigating, but I do not even recommend taking any courses until you are really interested in the profession enough to make the sacrifice and obligation of taking a thorough course. Most do not understand we are a division of healthcare, and those that take the obligation of entering this profession should have the best and in-depth education.

If you want to see if this will wet your appetite, then take a first responder course or first aid course. It is much cheaper, something you could possible use as a laymen, no matter what.

Again, I never recommend any "fast and easy" way in learning medical care, as well having someone spending wasted money on a class that will not be beneficial on a career.

I wish you good luck and success in endeavour.

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Very good advice from Chimpie and Ridryder, I hope you will do well in what ever you choose to do!:)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I opted for the accelerated academy-style course. We met from 9:00 - 5:00 PM M-F and on one weekend. I couldn't imagine it going any faster. When it was all said and done, the course ending up being a couple of months long and 300+ hours of training.

Matt, where do you go to school at? :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Matt, where do you go to school at? :)
A local community college. The EMT-B course was offered during the summer semester so that FF grads could take it right after the fire academy.

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
oops sorry I typed degree instead of a certificate.:wacko:

I have been thinking to take the course for 2 years now. I moved from the US to another country, and I do plan on coming back for a few weeks to see some relatives of mine, and I just wnated to see if I can finally take the course, because it's bugging me that I never had the opportunity to do so.

Thanks for the responses..

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i am an ems instructor in the boston area. there is no accelerated courses in this area to the best of my knowledge. a fact that is completely irrelevant bacause you dont want to go that route anyway. if you want basic first aid knowledge, take a first aid course. you dont go to emt school to get a basic knowledge of first aid. you go to basic school to get a basic license to work in the business. often as a precursor to a -p license. and onward.

to expand on a previous statement, shake and bake emts dont get any respect. if you showed up at my house with a two week education, youd be riding third for weeks. in fact, youd probably be failed by one of my fto's and dismissed. these courses dont provide a good solid education. this type of course really is only good for experienced providers that for what ever reason lost their ticket and want it back.

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
i am an ems instructor in the boston area. there is no accelerated courses in this area to the best of my knowledge. a fact that is completely irrelevant bacause you dont want to go that route anyway. if you want basic first aid knowledge, take a first aid course. you dont go to emt school to get a basic knowledge of first aid. you go to basic school to get a basic license to work in the business. often as a precursor to a -p license. and onward.

to expand on a previous statement, shake and bake emts dont get any respect. if you showed up at my house with a two week education, youd be riding third for weeks. in fact, youd probably be failed by one of my fto's and dismissed. these courses dont provide a good solid education. this type of course really is only good for experienced providers that for what ever reason lost their ticket and want it back.

I sent you a PM:)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
back at you

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
my course was 2-1/2 months. the mod tests were a pain. but all in all worked out fine.

Learn2Live

Forum Ride Along
There is a place in Shrewsbury, MA, called Massachusetts Emergency Care Training Agency. Shrewsbury is about an hour west of Boston. When I first started getting seriously interested in EMS, I just called hospitals and asked for human resources. They tend to know about training schools. I got the run-around a lot, but I did get a few numbers.

www.mecta.com

OP
OP
S

smurfgirl

Forum Probie
i doubt massachusetts will ever offer a 2 week course on this..

are there any books someone can reccomend for me?