Ballistic (bullet proof) vests for EMS use

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
If I were to purchase body armour i would get ballistic lvl 2 with level 3 spike protection for concealable. For armour that is to be worn over the uniform I would use lvl 4. Lvl 3a is the highest lvl that can be worn concealed lvl 3 and 4 cannot be. Lvl 4 is rated to stop rounds from a .50 calibre. But for the lvl 4 armour would get it with a EMS tab for the front and back.

phunguy

Forum Crew Member
Just a newbie question here.. Since personal safety is the #1 thing taught, can't help others if you are injured, and scene safety. Why would you enter a scene that required a vest as an EMT?

NJN

The Young One
Because some scenes can go from apparently safe to oh S***, PUHA and get out of here. That is why some EMS providers want ballistic vests

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Just a newbie question here.. Since personal safety is the #1 thing taught, can't help others if you are injured, and scene safety. Why would you enter a scene that required a vest as an EMT?
If the scene REQUIRES a vest... I'll be somewhere else until PD shoots the man with a gun, or SWAT says it's clear.

The reason lots of EMS personnel wear vests is that everything is fluid and can change with little or no notice, and a vest, coupled with good situational awareness is good life insurance.

NJN

The Young One
I
The reason lots of EMS personnel wear vests is that everything is fluid and can change with little or no notice, and a vest, coupled with good situational awareness is good life insurance.

That and a ballistic vest costs a lot less than a funeral.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
im awaking a dead thread on this

i was just hired by a township ambulance that is on the south side of a city and they carry two on every ambulance i and was told that they have been used mainly for the response to shootings. they are over top of the uniform and have the ems tabs on the front and back.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've seen armor carriers that mimic the appearance of the uniform, so that when you put it on, it blends in with your uniform and therefore is somewhat concealed right out in the open. As others have indicated in this (old) thread, if you're responding to an event where a vest is essentially mandatory, you should consider waiting for Law Enforcement to secure the area before you enter.

That being said, a Level II vest with protection against ice pick stabs is a good idea because sometimes the situation you're in can turn on you really quickly. The vest can also provide some protection to your torso in the event of a crash and you're unsecured...

And a Level IV plate won't stop a .50 BMG, they're supposed to stop ONE shot of .30-06 AP (M2 Armor Piercing, specifically). A SAPI plate might stop that round, but it'll pass to a slightly lower standard... A .50 BMG round has a LOT more energy than that...

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
If the scene REQUIRES a vest... I'll be somewhere else until PD shoots the man with a gun, or SWAT says it's clear.

Cept SWAT is going to call you in and tell you its clear about 2 seconds after the first SWAT officer gets shot...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
We don't use Ballistic vest, we just do lots of pushups/situps

McGoo

Forum Crew Member
We follow the rule of thumb: hold your arm out straight in front of you while looking at the dangerous scene. Extend your thumb straight up. If you can still see the scene behind your thumb, you are too close.