Balancing School and Work

azresultsca

Forum Probie
Hello everyone,

I am a Los Angeles County certified Emergency Medical Technician and I am in the process of looking for a job. I have passed AMRS, McCormick's and Gerber ambulance entrance test and am just waiting for them to hire due to the poor economic state, many companies are not hiring frequently. I currently am enrolled in a local j.c. and plan on furthering my education. Is there a good EMT job or field i.e ambulance service, ER room, theme park etc. where i can receive good experience and continue going to school?

GB

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Working in the ER while going to school:
Pros: often better pay, more likely to offer tuition assistance, especially if you study nursing.
Cons: You will likely be busy the entire time you are working, so you won't have "down-time" to study or do homework.

Ambulance:
Pros: more likely to have down time to study.
Cons: Tends to have lower pay.

Theme park:
Pros: when I worked at one, I had plenty of down time to study. Some students have trouble working while going to school, so a theme park might be nice if you just want summer employment.
Cons: No tuition assistance or CE, seasonal.

Dispatch:
Pros: excellent pay, plenty of down time to study.
Cons: no patient contact.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Try applying at PRN ambulance, they recently got approval to put in 11 ambulance in city of Los Angeles.