Bad Partners?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It seems every so often I get stuck with the worst partners. It's not that they're necessarily bad people, it's just that we don't get along.

After working a 12 hour shift, I picked up another with a new partner. We just had a rough time, and had almost no calls. We worked horribly together, and the couple calls we got, we had trouble with.

We were supposed to work 8 - 8. His usual shift was 5:30-5:30, but since his partner bailed, and I worked 7:30-7:30 the night before, they had to change his shift. The entire shift he complains about having to work a full day then pick his wife up afterwards, a 45 minute drive. Come 4:00 pm, he asks to borrow my cell phone, and then calls the shift supervisor. He says "My partner really wants to get off at 5:30, and it was his understanding that we would. I don't mind working until 8, but he really wants to get off." I just sit there in shock, as he uses my cell phone to tell the shift leader this.

We get back to the HQ, where he talks as I wash the truck.

I swear I left work that day saying I was going to quit. I think I'm one of the easiest guys to get along with, I don't object to much, and go with the flow. I paid for breakfast, and he said he would get lunch. Come lunch time, he stops and says he has to use the restroom. He gets out, goes into subway, gets food, gets back in the ambulance, and drives away, without a word said.

Nevermind the money aspect, I could care less about it, but it was the principle.

Okay, done venting on that one. I learned my lesson, find out who I'm working with prior to volunteering to pick up a shift.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I think it's good you had to work with someone like that. The lessons that you can learn from him have almost limitless potential.

Think about it...everything you observed today sounded like an example of how NOT to treat your partner. Remember this day, and always do the opposite and you should be fine.