Bad Home Remedies (Bookending Veneficus' thread on Home Remedies)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What sort of futile, harmful or "just WRONG" self-treatments have you seen or tried?
PS: I'd include novel ways to abuse drugs.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
"Coining"

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
Ever see the video on YouTube with the girl cutting open pilonidal abscess between a guys shoulder blades with an exacto knife and no gloves?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Pilonidal abscess between the shoulder blades? Wouldn't that require the head to be somewhere up in there near the sacrum? :rofl:
Head-Up_Ass.png

What's coining?

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
While the sacral region is most common they do appear in axillary areas and between the shoulders. I have had two coccygeal ones...not fun.

SliceOfLife

Forum Crew Member
Coining is a cultural thing where you heat small coin like discs and place or rub them on the body. Similar to cupping I believe.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Ah, yeah! Thanks.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
filling a bathtub full of cold water and ice and putting the person in to "wake up" drug ODs.

Seen it in 2 different states.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Coining, or cao gio (pronounced phonetically gow yaw), is an alternative form of medicine most commonly practiced in Southeast Asia. The practice of coining involves rubbing heated oil on the skin, most commonly the chest, back, or shoulders, and then vigorously rubbing a coin over the area in a linear fashion until a red mark is seen.

Coining is believed to allow a path by which a "bad wind" can be released from the body. This "wind" is believed to be the cause of the patient's illness. Advocates use this method to treat a variety of minor ailments including fever, chills, headache, colds, and cough.

There have been a handful of case reports describing complications from this treatment including burns, bruises, renal contusions, and brain hemorrhage.1,4,7 There have also been instances where parents who practice this treatment on their children have been accused of child abuse.5
child%20coining.jpeg

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The question of the hour is....

Does it work at all?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Windex. The everycure.

windex4.gif

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
How about any home remedy for burns that involves anything but cool water? As in butter, margarine, hair conditioner, petroleum jelly...

filling a bathtub full of cold water and ice and putting the person in to "wake up" drug ODs.

Seen it in 2 different states.

I see your ice filled bathtub and raise you ice down the pants for heroin/opiate ODs.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I see your ice filled bathtub and raise you ice down the pants for heroin/opiate ODs.

I always thought that was to cool down something else? :unsure:

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Had a case where a diabetic woman living in a meth lab compound tried to abort with an insulin OD; her "brothers" tried to revive her with meth. She came in violently gasping like a fish out of water and the color of the background blue on this website. She lasted two days in ICU.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
If someone is seizing, stick a spoon or shoe in their mouth so they don't swallow their tongue.

if they are seizing, throw rubbing alcohol on them.

If they are drunk, throw them in a cold shower

all great ideas....

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Where do people get this crap? I see that all the time down here. Smh.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Where do people get this crap? I see that all the time down here. Smh.

It is almost as effective as "the home boy ambulace service"

Where they push the ODing person out of the moving car in front of the ED.

(Had a few patients in my time I wish I could have done that to also)

But the person usually bounces off the pavement and it becomes a ODing patient with major trauma.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
How about any home remedy for burns that involves anything but cool water? As in butter, margarine, hair conditioner, petroleum jelly...

Was camping once. 14 year old burned his hand. His mom pulled out a tube of tooth paste and started smearing it on the burn. I kid you not. I believe the exact words out of my mouth were, "WIPE THAT SH*T OFF RIGHT NOW!" Although his burn was whiter afterwards, free of plaque, and minty fresh... :rolleyes: