Backproblems from lifting heavy weighed objects in emt's

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
Hey I'm doing a project for my Engineering Design Development class and my project is relating to back problems with emt's due to lifting heavy weighed objects in pre hospital settings. My idea for the solution is to make a back strap connecting to a reflective vest. I have been researching and haven't found anything specifically for emt's. Do you think this is a good/common problem? Any ways i can improve my solution?

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Hey I'm doing a project for my Engineering Design Development class and my project is relating to back problems with emt's due to lifting heavy weighed objects in pre hospital settings. My idea for the solution is to make a back strap connecting to a reflective vest. I have been researching and haven't found anything specifically for emt's. Do you think this is a good/common problem? Any ways i can improve my solution?

The problem I have seen with backstraps is when people put them on they think they can lift anything. At a local industrial location where I do FA they wear them. I have seen people lift absolutely way more than what they should and they just bring the strap in tighter and keep lifting unsafely. In our line of work, good body mechanics go a long way. I know this doesn't stop them but it does help. With that being said, my back is still hurting a little bit from our last 565 lb 6'5 appendicitis the other night with no lift help.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Several years ago, those "back" devices that one sees people that work at lumber yards, etc. wear was popular in EMS. With reflective star of life, etc.

What we did find out that it gave a "false sense of security" that it actually weakened the lumbar area. It did support the abdominal area but this is not needs to be supported and due to the elastic band that wrapped around the abdomen, most did not lift with the knees as one should.

To say the least, they did not last long in most companies as workmen's comp cases increased.

Good luck on your design, however; proper lifting techniques have to be reinforced.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
They are more for the risk manager at the place of employment showing they 'took precautions' than they are for the employee. Good body mechanics, knowing how to lift and what not to lift are the best tools. Also, being physically fit helps.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I think those back belts are most effective the same way that soft cervical collars are effective: they are reminders only.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Special back devices are not very useful in my honest yet humble opinion. I say this only because in 17 years of lifting a lot of very heavy pts, I have never hurt my back. It's not because I'm stronger than my peers. Several are stronger than I am. It is simply because I lift my pts slow and steady regardless of the situation, as one unit with my partner, and always with my legs.

Education is the key. I believe starting up an EMT lifting course would probably be very profitable if you do it right.

Just my thoughts.