Background check

Status
Not open for further replies.

michelie0

Forum Probie
Hey I just wanted to find out some information on the background checks/live scan. I had gotten a DUI when I was under 18 and now I am almost 19 but my license will be suspended until May of 2008. I am hopefully going to get a restricted license after I finish my driving school in November 07. But anyways my probation ends in November also and I am planning on sealing my record so no one will know I will have a DUI. In December hopefully though I will be passing my EMT-B course and soon after passing the NREMT exam to get my certification.
My question is will they know I have a DUI even if I seal my record?
Or will they ask me why I have only a suspended or restricted license do I have to tell them?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Depends upon the state ordinances. If you are still paying for the penalty, it might be on the record. In my area, the insurance company requires a clean record of three years is necessary as well as being 21 with experience and 23 without. It is based upon individual basis.

Good luck and be sure to take an EVOC course before attempting to drive any emergency vehicle.

R/r 911

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Im pretty sure here you have to go through a Vulnerable Sector Screening, which reports in addition to convictions, pardons, offences while a young offender, or any run-ins with the law, even if you were held over night or on probation. Thats just in this area though, I'm not too familiar with U.S. law in that sense. Find out what sort of background check they want, and then research that type to find out.

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
I live in California by the way. Im not to sure about all the rules I just know that to get your EMT-B certification one of the requirements is a valid drivers license but I dont see why because I'm not going to be the one driving the ambulance.

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
I think they do require a licence (class F, i think, if they're called the same thing there?), but they might overlook it, and if not, May/08 isn't too far away.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I dont think the state is going to look up your driving record before issuing your card, but employers will probably. I have been asked by ambulance companies to submit my driving record going back 5-10 years before they considered hiring me. I had to go to the DMV, pay $10 and have them print a certified copy of my record. I dont know how employers are going to react to a DUI, as opposed to speeding tickets, as opposed to parking tickets. The fact that the charge occurred less then a year ago (??), may be a deterrent.

OP
OP
M

michelie0

Forum Probie
oh cool. well if its the employer then they def. will not know since my record will be sealed and the only person who will know about it is my drivers insurance. I think it will be ok.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
Hey I just wanted to find out some information on the background checks/live scan. I had gotten a DUI when I was under 18 and now I am almost 19 but my license will be suspended until May of 2008. I am hopefully going to get a restricted license after I finish my driving school in November 07. But anyways my probation ends in November also and I am planning on sealing my record so no one will know I will have a DUI. In December hopefully though I will be passing my EMT-B course and soon after passing the NREMT exam to get my certification.
My question is will they know I have a DUI even if I seal my record?
Or will they ask me why I have only a suspended or restricted license do I have to tell them?

Not trying to be an *** or anything but it is possible that you might be denied an EMT license for the DUI. I am not sure about CA but in AR they can check juv. record by new law.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Im pretty sure here you have to go through a Vulnerable Sector Screening, which reports in addition to convictions, pardons, offences while a young offender, or any run-ins with the law, even if you were held over night or on probation. Thats just in this area though, I'm not too familiar with U.S. law in that sense. Find out what sort of background check they want, and then research that type to find out.

Does this mean that they can look back at your records from when you were under 18?

Aileana

Forum Lieutenant
Does this mean that they can look back at your records from when you were under 18?
yes, if you get a Vulnerable Sector Screening done. If you get a normal police records check, I'm not sure. I've had both done before, but I don't have a record, and I'm currently under 18 anyways :p.

Johnny_B_Good

Forum Probie
Civil Suit

Will a Civil Suit show up on a background check for an EMT-B course? My record is clean otherwise. Hoping it doesn't cause any problems...<_<

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Will a Civil Suit show up on a background check for an EMT-B course? My record is clean otherwise. Hoping it doesn't cause any problems...<_<
This thread is nearly three years old, so I'm closing it. You're welcome to start a new thread with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.