Back Surgery

tcsd87

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone,

I've asked numerous EMT's and friends who are EMT's, but I need an unbiased response from people I don't know. I had back surgery a little over a year ago. Ruptured my L5 and had a discectomy to fix it after a year of ongoing pain. Anyways, I want to become an EMT, but I'm extremely nervous about my back. Everyone I speak to in person tells me that I will be fine if I continue the proper body mechanics. I'm a kinesiology major so they can spare me the lecture. I feel that these people don't want to tell me that I shouldn't do it and may feel bad for telling me not to do it. In your opinion, what do you think is a realistic outlook? I know it's difficult to assess this given that every injury is different, but I've always been athletic, I'm 6'2" 190 pounds, in shape. I work out, but I obviously have the lingering effects of back and sciatic problems when they act up from excess activity. The only thing I really don't do is run anymore. Again, in your opinion, is this job too demanding on a back or do you think I could do this?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and share your input.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think you should consult an orthopod.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Before this gets closed for asking about medical advice, you must make sure you and your MD are in accord on this. Personally, I wouldn't take on a lifting job with a history of back issues, it smells like "asking for it" and could influence the outcome of civil suits or workman's comp if you find them necessary later.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This does not constitute medical advice, of course, but is simply my personal experience:

When I was young (21) and in the military I herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1.

It gave me problems for years. My "baseline" was very functional but with pretty much constant sciatica, tightness, and trouble sleeping because of it. And I'd regularly have exacerbations where I could barely walk for a few days. Surgery was mentioned several times but I was in no hurry for that.

(I went to paramedic school in the midst of this. Not the smartest thing I'm sure, but I was young and dumb, er, "determined")

The back problems continued like that for about 4-5 years.

What eventually fixed my back? Lifting weights.

Specifically, squats and deadlifts. I also used an inversion table daily.

Since doing that regularly for about a year, I haven't had back problems since. Went on to work on helicopters and ambulances for quite a few more years, with nary a problem. When I split wood, if I'm not really careful about my body mechanics, I do get some tightness.....but that's about the only activity that does it.

The fact that I was young was very helpful in my healing, I'm sure, but I am 100% convinced that that combination of strengthening and inversion therapy is what fixed me.

Last edited by a moderator: