Back ground check

EMT13-1

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a volunteer FF/EMT here in Washington sate. I am trying to land a career postion with pretty much any department. I have been testing and filling out applications to any departments I can find. My ?'s are what kind of things do the department and personnel look for in a back ground check. I pulled my own through the state patrol just to check for descepancy. It came back as 1 possible, That is not me but very very simular information for a person with a lengthy criminal back ground. You really need to read the info close to see it is not me. Has anybody else had this problem and what did or can you do to inform the possible hiring department of my concern ,I have no criminal back ground. My back ground consist of a little marijauna and drinking during my teen and early 20's. I am now 32 married w/ kids, with some of the needed certifications I would need for a career position. What else would they be concerned with.Any opinions ,solutions,experiences would be greatly appreciated.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Moved to appropriate forum.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The WSP Watch background check often comes up with a situation like the one you describe. Very often the next step is to determine if the person on the list actually is you. There is generally a description, height, weight, build, sometimes a driver's license number, DOB difference between you and the crook. It's generally not an issue especially if your name is John Smith or Steve Jones.

Aside from that, what you need to do to get hired in Washington State is test EVERYWHERE. Go to the classes and conferences, get yourself known. Of course, bear in mind that if you are a whacker, or socially inept, this can work against you.

Your age will work against you. It's not a deal breaker but you are competing against a whole slew of 20 something hard bodies who are doing physical training for the position. If you are looking for a position in a Fire Department, you are better off getting your paramedic cert. first. I know of several medics who applied to fire departments as entry level FF/EMTs because that was the only opening available. The Fire Department hires a rookie FF and gets a paramedic at entry level wages.

As you test and see who gets hired from the places that didn't hire you, you can see the trend of what the departments are looking for in their employees. Then you can either develop that in yourself or pick another career path.

OP
OP
E

EMT13-1

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Bossy .

The fellow in the back ground check is not me. My concern is you need to read into the info to see that. Do most departments take the time to actually read this info or do they have so many apps to review that they would just see this information and possibly think it pertains to the applicant?

WSP told me to attach a letter ,or am I to concered about this.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks Bossy .

The fellow in the back ground check is not me. My concern is you need to read into the info to see that. Do most departments take the time to actually read this info or do they have so many apps to review that they would just see this information and possibly think it pertains to the applicant?

WSP told me to attach a letter ,or am I to concered about this.

Trust me, if I see a file on someone I'm doing a background check on... I'm reading it! LOL.. don't worry, its very common and a non issue.

OP
OP
E

EMT13-1

Forum Ride Along
Thanks again Bossy.. Defeinetly makes me feel my confident with the whole issue. Thanks for the speedy reply