B.S. programs that are paramedic related.

SMButton91

Forum Probie
Hello all, I am a Paramedic wanting to further my education and get by Bachelors degree. Anybody have any experience with any good online B.S. program? As you all know, working multiple EMS jobs isn't favorable for sitting in multiple scheduled college class. The NAEMT has a list of EMS degree programs, but I have no experience with any of these schools, so any help and advise is much appreciated.

https://www.naemt.org/about_ems/degreeprograms.aspx

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I did the one at Central Washington University, I think it was good, let me know if you have any questions about it.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
General information about the program linked by Irish:

The program covers further medical training, such as pharm, cardiology, patho, critical care topics, etc. It also goes over administration and management.

Perk- the entire thing can be accomplished without traveling to San Antonio.

If you have any specific questions about the program, let me know.

OP
OP
SMButton91

SMButton91

Forum Probie
Thanks everyone for you're advice. Thanks STXMedic, I was just looking over that program today. Prices for tuition look pretty reasonable too.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Creighton has a bachelors program. "Bachelor of science in emergency medical services"

OP
OP
SMButton91

SMButton91

Forum Probie
COmedic17, yep the program sounds pretty solid. I graduated from the University of Iowa EMSLRC, and unfortunately Creighton does not recognize my paramedic program. Somehow the credits and curriculum don't jive for that program.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
You could call and talk to the director. They may be able to help. They are typically very accommodating.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
General information about the program linked by Irish:

The program covers further medical training, such as pharm, cardiology, patho, critical care topics, etc. It also goes over administration and management.

Perk- the entire thing can be accomplished without traveling to San Antonio.

If you have any specific questions about the program, let me know.
I might have to look into that. The only B'S program I am familiar with is the UNM School of Medicine BS-EMS degred. It has a couple different concentrations and after precepting students from the program they are pretty squared away

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I might have to look into that. The only B'S program I am familiar with is the UNM School of Medicine BS-EMS degred. It has a couple different concentrations and after precepting students from the program they are pretty squared away

I think the UNM one isn't offered completely online. We had a local guy here go there to do it; he enjoyed it.

I'm currently 3 credits away from my (online) AAS from CNM Community College, and that is transferable to that UNM BS program. I took a peek at it... Not my flavor to move to NM.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you have an AAS degree you can complete the B.S. all online under "advanced standing" if your a current practicing paramedic. I also attended another university near me on campus to complete my gen ed requirements and transferred credit in, but that is not needed for everyone, it depends on your individual situation. If you have an AAS and your a working paramedic interested in getting an EMS related B.S. degree I would recommend the CWU program if you have an interest in research. The degree they award you is a B.S. in "paramedicine" about 2/3 to half the classes are research and clinical practice related if your interested in that or going on to grad school. The other 1/3 to half are EMS management/admin related. It was the right degree for me but everyone is different

Last edited:

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I was just accepted into this program online. How are the semesters? I was always worried about tuition its like 1500 a class
The semesters aren't too bad. Just keep up with the reading and be ready to do a lot of time on research for your papers. I found that the quality of the paper was more important with the professors then making sure that it was the appropriate length. If you write a good factual paper they didn't care if it was a half page or so short. Also be sure to participate in the online discussion boards, some classes had minimum requirements of postings and replying to others each week. A lot of the learning is self directed, but the professors will be there to help if you get stuck or have questions. Most classes had at least two papers a semester, so a lot of time is spent working on those. Don't fall behind in your classes, it will be tough to get back up and to work at the same time.

onrope

Forum Crew Member
No. You will paint yourself in a corner with that. Get a business degree at least you have options outside EMS and when you want to promote it will do you far more good.

PirateMedic3

Forum Probie
The semesters aren't too bad. Just keep up with the reading and be ready to do a lot of time on research for your papers. I found that the quality of the paper was more important with the professors then making sure that it was the appropriate length. If you write a good factual paper they didn't care if it was a half page or so short. Also be sure to participate in the online discussion boards, some classes had minimum requirements of postings and replying to others each week. A lot of the learning is self directed, but the professors will be there to help if you get stuck or have questions. Most classes had at least two papers a semester, so a lot of time is spent working on those. Don't fall behind in your classes, it will be tough to get back up and to work at the same time.

Do you think this degree would be beneficial in Emergency Management? Thats really my goal combined with admistration within EMS.