B.S. programs that are paramedic related.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
Do you think this degree would be beneficial in Emergency Management? Thats really my goal combined with admistration within EMS.
Possibly. I'm working as a medic right now, but plan on using this degree as a foundation for a masters and looking to work for FEMA or CDC

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
I see they have bs degrees in paramedicine. But what exactly would you be learning? Anyone ever done one of these programs? What type of classes or content are in them?

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
I see they have bs degrees in paramedicine. But what exactly would you be learning? Anyone ever done one of these programs? What type of classes or content are in them?

Look up a program. It's basically just the medic program and general education rolled into one. Nothing special.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
The UTHSCSA program is some further pharm, cards, patho, and administrative topics. I think there's a flight physio class in there also.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Yes I have, I stand by my comments on the first page of the thread from last year. Feel free to ask me any questions you like. In short, if your going on beyond an undergraduate level education. An EMS degree maybe a good choice. It was for me...

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Yes I have, I stand by my comments on the first page of the thread from last year. Feel free to ask me any questions you like. In short, if your going on beyond an undergraduate level education. An EMS degree maybe a good choice. It was for me...

Were you able to do it online?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The EMS part ya. But I also took a sociology minor and some general ed on campus. If you have an AAS as a medic right now, there are a lot of bachelors programs available in EMS or paramedicine that will transfer that in for full credit and you can complete the rest of your bachelors degree %100 online. I was even able to get a lot of support with financial aid that I used together with my veterans benefits and I did not pay a dime. Guys in my program used the degree to get into PA school, or grad school (like me)

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
The EMS part ya. But I also took a sociology minor and some general ed on campus. If you have an AAS as a medic right now, there are a lot of bachelors programs available in EMS or paramedicine that will transfer that in for full credit and you can complete the rest of your bachelors degree %100 online. I was even able to get a lot of support with financial aid that I used together with my veterans benefits and I did not pay a dime. Guys in my program used the degree to get into PA school, or grad school (like me)

PA school would be nice.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The trick is picking the right elective and general education to fit into your degree plan. For example a PA program may require you to take pre-recs like organic chemistry, A&P, so on and so forth. Its often possible to fit those into an EMS degree with out any extra time or money from your end in some circumstances, but it requires a great deal of planning.

LOSTatsea

Forum Ride Along
@ExpatMedic0 @Run with scissors I'm so glad I ran across this thread. For one, thanks for all of the insight on BS programs... I'm looking into PA school in the next couple years as well. I already have my A.S. as well as AAS in Paramedicine, with about 70 hrs of which don't count towards anything- I apparently love college given I'm the only one I know of to somewhat consistently go and accumulate 170 hrs+ and still have no B.S. Regardless, I'm not totally sure if this school was mentioned previously or not so I wanted to toss it out there. It's WCU in Western NC. They offer a BS in Emergency Medicine/Paramedic with the option to take either a management track or a pre-med track (obviously, latter being prep for MD, Ph.D, PA, etc). I'll attach link at bottom. Would be really interested in what you guys thoughts/opinions on their program are... after talking with admissions, they echoed the policy of reciprocity/transfer/clep for any classes/skills already acquired. again, would greatly appreciate any incite you could pass along- or recommendations of equal or better...

http://www.wcu.edu/learn/department...s-depts/healthsci/health-sciences-majors/emc/

Last edited:

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The WCU one looks good. Basically anything that will allow you to transfer all those EMS credits in is going to save you around 2 full semesters of time and money is great. If your going beyond a bachelors degree anyway, the EMS degree will be more than fine so long as you pick the right general ed and electives. If you where stopping at a bachelors degree, I might suggest looking at alternatives to consider. Shop around though, check those 2 links in my signature. I took the CWU program. Whatever you can customize to suit you needs, the premed track may work well for clinical degrees like PA and MD, but for grad school you may wanna consider a more research based pathway... Really though, pick a goal for after your undergrad and if in doubt consult with academic advising.