Austin Travis county EMS questions

Angel

Paramedic
@RocketMedic, the same way you think chewy is drinking the Kool aid I think you are bitter and probably burnt out. Why do you comment so much on a company you seem not to like? Why do you care so much?

I think we get it.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Just tired of Kool Aid drinkers touting how their buzzard systems are the best around and trying to break the bubble of ATC'S PR efforts

Angel

Paramedic
I don't think that's what it is. If people like where they work, and it's relevant to the conversation there's nothing wrong with sharing it.
Truth be told it probably is better than a lot of systems.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Just tired of Kool Aid drinkers touting how their buzzard systems are the best around and trying to break the bubble of ATC'S PR efforts
Since you know so much about them based on their hiring process, right?

It's one thing to have actually worked somewhere and not liked it, but you and I have about the same knowledge of ATC, yet only one of us feels that they need recklessly knock the agency.

RocketMedic

Since you know so much about them based on their hiring process, right?

It's one thing to have actually worked somewhere and not liked it, but you and I have about the same knowledge of ATC, yet only one of us feels that they need recklessly knock the agency.

One need not work for a place to understand it.

I have read many articles or post lately since I'm considering moving my family to outskirts of Austin for potential job with ATCEMS. I would be leaving an extremely progressive and clinical professional environment, down side benefits are not the best for having a family. My only question is how are the protocols, example can their paramedics RSI, treat septic shock, sedation, pain management?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you have the Protocols app, their protocols are available online. You may be able to find them without the app, too.

RocketMedic

I have read many articles or post lately since I'm considering moving my family to outskirts of Austin for potential job with ATCEMS. I would be leaving an extremely progressive and clinical professional environment, down side benefits are not the best for having a family. My only question is how are the protocols, example can their paramedics RSI, treat septic shock, sedation, pain management?

There's another flaw too....central Texas is actually pretty expensive, and although ATC pays decently as compared to other local options, it's not that decent. Depending on family and lifestyle, you may not be able to afford it at all.

RocketMedic

Well, that's remarkably judgemental.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Random question, does A/TCEMS use TMRS or TCDRS for their retirement plan?

Last edited:

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Random question, does A/TCEMS use TMRS or TCDRS for their retirement plan?

Never heard of those. only thing I have ever seen referenced towards our retirement is COARS which is the City of Austin Retirement System. Which is the cities pension plan. I suppose that may fall underage TCDRS? Like I said though I have never seen that term used. Pm me if you want specific rates and all that and I can get them for you.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
TCDRS is the Texas County and District Retirment System. TMRS is the TX Municipal retirement system. I figured since A/TCEMS is a hydrid either one was fair game.

RocketMedic

I don't think either will be solvent over the long term; Texas isn't exactly governed well for long-term fiscal stability.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Probably not, but I had a coworker with ten years down here asking since he's looking at moving up there.