Aussie Qualified looking to move to the US or Canada

MIT

Forum Probie
I'm going to be a qualified Advanced Care Paramedic in eighteen months. I'll be graduating from a university with a double degree in Paramedical Sciences and Nursing in May next year and I am looking at almost immediately coming to the US or to Canada to work as either an EMT or as a Paramedic and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice or information about the process?

Ideally we would be looking at areas such as Miami, Los Angeles, Seattle or Vancouver.

Any advice or links would be greatly appreciated!

I can also work as a nurse but my partner cannot so we're looking for ideas for him too!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't do it!

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Hahaha it would definitely be for the experience rather than the money! Lots more trauma than here in Aus!

The role of EMS in trauma in the US is basically nonexistant.

If trauma is your thing, you need to work at a level I trauma center as a nurse. You will get far more experience, far more money, and you won't be the odd ball out, being an educated healthcare provider in an industry full of technical labor. (trust me, it really sucks going to work everyday in that environment, especially when your supervisor is likely to have less training than a barber and certainly less than you.)

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
you can contact our national certification registry here nremt.org and also the individual states your interested in filing reciprocity in , however there is no way your going to get a work visa to enter the USA as a Paramedic. I know you have a shortage in oz but we do not. I worked for a sub branch of Aspen medical with a lot of aussie medics. Our EMS system works a little different and your education is much longer than ours, however you will find the scope of practice to be very similar in many ways. We however still depend heavily on medical direction in the USA.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
American Paramedics generally have equivalent skills to our ICPs, so your ACP qualification won't cut it.

As others have said, you first have to get a Green Card. Aussies can enter the Green Card lottery and if your lucky you can win working rights.

After that you would probably have to undertake a full medic training course (varies state by state).

You would honestly have more luck doing your nursing grad year and trying to be an RN in the States.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya +1 to all that. ICP is around the same scope as ours, SCOPE not education lol... and just to expand on this, once you obtain an american RN licence, in some states you may apply to challenge the Paramedic certification if you have prior relevant experience. I do not know how or where that can be done, but nurses have came to this board before discussing it. The option is there and reciprocity maybe easier that way, RN maybe even be on the green card list? I have no idea. However, Paramedic is not. My aussie friend played the green lottery and won!

American Paramedics generally have equivalent skills to our ICPs, so your ACP qualification won't cut it.

As others have said, you first have to get a Green Card. Aussies can enter the Green Card lottery and if your lucky you can win working rights.

After that you would probably have to undertake a full medic training course (varies state by state).

You would honestly have more luck doing your nursing grad year and trying to be an RN in the States.