Associate of Applied Science in What?

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I got a letter from the financial aid office, that I need to declare a major to be eligible for financial aid. Since I have to get my EMT-B first before pursuing my EMT-P, I will be taking my EMT-B at this school, then transferring. The school I am going to says I will get a Associate of Applied Science after graduating, but it gives no further info.

I assume it must be Associate of Applied Science in Para-medicine. I found a couple of places that said Paramedic Emergency Medicine as a major. I just wanted to get some input to see what type of degree's that the paramedics on the board have.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Are you ultimately going for your Associates Degree or something beyond?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Going for Associates, the Associates Degree is given at the college I will be doing my paramedic course at. Though it just says Associate of Applied Science in the text, I am sure it must be in para-medicine or Emergency Medicine or something. I was just freaking out about this letter, cause I can't afford the classes right now without loans.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
At my school they call it an Associates of Applied Sciences EMT-Paramedic Technology. But, it was just 30 credits in a few general subjects (which I already had) and then the year of paramedic school.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
At my school they call it an Associates of Applied Sciences EMT-Paramedic Technology. But, it was just 30 credits in a few general subjects (which I already had) and then the year of paramedic school.

Ok thanks Nate. Did you get federal student loans for yours?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Wouldn't you just fill out the FAFSA form and apply for a Stafford Loan?

Yeah I already did, guess I forgot to declare a major which is required to qualify. Was trying to figure out what to put down for it. You have to be pursuing a degree or a certificate. I will be pursuing the degree, but not at that school. I am getting the EMT-B there and then continuing on. I think everything is going to be ok, but I just worry.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Did you actually apply to go to the school as a regular student or as a guest student?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Mine was called an Associates of applied science Paramedic,

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Look it up on their Web Site. I am sure they have it listed as AAS, emphasis :_________
Do remember though, an applied science is NOT the same as an A.S. The same as an ADN is NOT the same as a RN with a AAS. A ADN or A.S. has completed the majority of the General Education, where as applied associate may not...

R/r 911

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Just the Stafford Loan I got through FAFSA was the only federal aid I got, I had another scholarship that continued from my previous year in college.

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Good deal. What did you figure out?

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Just had to let them know I was transferring to do paramedic and that I would be getting a degree. I explained I needed to be basic first, I plan on working as a basic for a year, then going on to class for paramedic.