Assisstance...

Panda_Hunter

Forum Ride Along
Hello (wasn't sure where to post this), I'm new too the forums, and must say am very pleased to have found an entire community of EMS personnel.

Anyways, I apologize if I come off as whiny, I don't mean to. I'm in my third week of EMT-B training and while I am enjoying it, one thing is getting to me; the tests. I have test anxiety, thus I have problems taking tests and it's proving to be a problem.

We tend to go over one or two chapters in the book every night of class, with the exception of Fridays where we do hands on stuff. Now every night, I will go home and read the chapters we went over, notate the entire chapter and take down the objectives in the book and do the quizzes for the chapters that are provided in the workbook that is given to us, as well as take the online quizzes our instructor provides for us.

Yet still I barely pass the tests with an 80% (80% average is required to pass the course). I'm getting very nervous about my grade since the tests are getting harder and the questions on the test are so different from those on the practices, can anyone offer some suggestions to help me be better prepared for the tests? Any help would be a great relief, thanks. (I apologize if this is in the wrong category)

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I study in a few different ways to help with retaining the information better so I'll give ya what works for me.

First, read the entire chapter word for word to get to know all the material in the chapter and familiarize ur self with it. Then go back over the chapter and highlight the primary points in the chapter... as in only highlight the stuff that is important and not the filler, more detailed explanation stuff.

Then go back and read the portions you highlighted.... obviously spend time on the background info if its something u dont understand real well. Already, you read the entire chapter, you scanned over and searched the chapter for the primary points and objectives and highlighted them, and then went back a third time and read what you highlighted.

It helps to get a notebook and write summery pages of the chapters and use them as study guides. I do that frequently and is a big help. Start from the beginning of a chapter and write (or type) key points, terminology, brief overviews, etc.

People learn in different ways (seeing, hearing, reading, doing) and the more ways you expose yourself to the material the better chance you will have at retaining it.... hearing it in class, reading it, and writing it helps me. They're is no substitute for immersing yourself in the material and constantly exposing ur self to it.

Hope this may have helped ya out.

Last edited by a moderator:

MommyEMT

Forum Probie
I am probably just as far along in my EMT-B as you are and this is what I do.

We go over 2 chapters a night. During the class they have a slide presentation that they do the lecture with. We have access to those slides beforehand. I print them, write them in my notebook and then type them. Then I take the typed set and read the chapter with them while jotting down stuff as I read. Then in class I will add more to my notes if necessary. This is how I study.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Not to be harsh, but you may want to check on your reading and comprehension skills. Sometimes adult learners, especially those that have not been in school or read a lot .. get rusty. Usually schools have tests that point out problems and can assist you.

The other hint I give students is to be sure to read the objectives. Write them down and be able to answer them. Go through the chapter at least three times. Once to read it and the second to be highlight the main points, and then be able to answer those objectives, .

Good luck!

R/r 911

OP
OP
P

Panda_Hunter

Forum Ride Along
I'm fresh out of high school, had decent grades in school scored well on my ACT's and love to read, it's just the way the questions are worded that gets me. I assume it could be a problem with reading comprehension but its never been a problem before. I don't mean to come off as rude, I apologize.

Regardless, Thanks for the tips everyone, I'll put them to use right away. Hopefully the test goes well tomorrow :glare: