Aspiring EMT: Questions for the experienced guys

TheConstantExplorer

Forum Ride Along
I will be starting EMT school in January. My question to you guys is, what's life like for a rookie EMT? My goal is to attain a position in Emergency Care (911). How long did it take for you to get a position as 911 responder? How was work prior to doing 911?

URI

Forum Crew Member
First off, congratulations on making a great career choice. This is one that is both humbling, but definitely rewarding.
As a rookie, you are making a wise decision on becoming member on this site. You will undoubtedly learn more from the experienced members on this forum, then any initial training you will receive in class.

Any 911 system you apply for will give you a probationary period where you will ride with a preceptor until you are ready.
The system is also going to place you with an experience provider, most likely a Paramedic.

My advice: show up ready to work, but also be humble. Listen, opposed to trying to impress them by acting like you know everything.

Your going to be nervous, your going to make mistakes. Everyone has, everyone will.

Some more people will chime in, but most will agree that overnight success takes 15 years.
Good luck!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Buy the Leatherman Raptor and become a Registered Nurse. That is the only way to succeed on this forum. :p

Mariemt

Forum Captain
My first call as an EMT was a 911 response. I work both IFT and 911.

I was a driver through my 9 month class and I was just basically put with a more experienced EMT for a couple weeks. After I was proven to be OK I was then on my own.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut unless you have a question.

It's okay to be new, but you'll be "new" for one to two years. So grow a thick skin.

Don't tell war stories about "that awesome call" you just ran. You'll sound silly.

When working with different partners, remind them that you're still green and that you're open to any suggestions or criticisms they have.

If you don't know what you're doing or how to do it properly please ask someone who knows. There's no shame in asking for help.

Don't make up vital signs, we can tell when you're faking it. If you can't get a blood pressure, just say so.

Show up early, always check out your ambulance thoroughly, develop a routine and always leave your rig cleaner than when you got it.

Don't be a slacker. Even if you're getting held over, take the time to clean and restock your rig.

Your newbie status can be forgiven if you are polite, professional and willing to learn.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The system is also going to place you with an experience provider...

Unfortunately this isn't always true. Our probationary periods used to be a lot longer. 3-6 months now they're 5-8 weeks plus a couple of weeks of classroom and orientation stuff.

It's not unusual to see a brand new EMT and a brand new Paramedic on an ambulance occasionally here. I've seen units that I didn't know either of the crew members on a couple different occasions.

We have one set crew that's a pair of brand new medics that were in class together except one failed his FTO so he can only practice as an Intermediate. That's a little bit better of a combination.

I don't really have much more to add to what's already been said because it's all great advice.

I will add to the comment about mistakes. Yes you will make them and that's perfectly fine. What matters is how you learn from them and develop as a provider. If you go to AEMT and you can't hit IVs for example don't just keep doing it the same way, ask for help from your preceptor or partner. Practice if you have willing partners in your downtime. You can do this with any skill. Some are more difficult because they take a bit to clean up and if you run 911 you have chute times to meet.

When I was new I'd show up an hour before my shift and help the VSTs restock rigs that we're coming in or refill speed load bins just to learn where everything was. You really don't have to do it too many times to learn it either and it helps you get to know employees. This is assuming A) you have a VST department and B) they will let you help them.

Don't nap in your downtime study your protocols. Do mini after action reviews of all the calls you go on with your partner. What you did great on what you did wrong and what was good but could use some tweaking.

Be proactive, like everyone else said listen more than you talk and most of all have fun! This is a cool job. There's no way around that. Just remember, there's a time to fool around and a time to be professional. We're roll models to kids, we show up and are let into complete strangers' homes on the worst day of their life and they give you their ultimate trust but you still need to carry yourself in a way that deserves it.

AEMTstudent

Forum Crew Member
I generally leave any questions until after we are returning to the station. That's just from my personal experiences.

LMedic90

Forum Ride Along
You might start out working mostly transfers, but I quickly moved into responding to 911 calls within a month simply because of the agency I was with. Alot of private ambulance companies are transport only, some are mixed, while others are 911 responders as a primary.

It's good to start with transfers and transport to really learn the mechanics of how everything is handled in the box, and the process of keeping a report and record of the call.

Stay humble and learn to anticipate the needs of the Medic you are with, and don't hesitate to ask questions once back at the station. Remember to save those questions for after the call as not to cause the patient anxiety in thinking you are clueless.

Beaujangles

Forum Probie
I started working as a reserve firefighter/EMT last June, one month after getting my EMT license. Been doing it ever since. I have applied 4 times to southwest ambulance, been turned down 3 times and I hopefully have an interview next week. The best advice is don't stop learning and even if you fail, learn from it.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Buy the Leatherman Raptor and become a Registered Nurse. That is the only way to succeed on this forum. :p

HAHAHA. But skip the Raptor, get:

a Victorinox Outrider knife;

a Smith pocket sharpener,
SmithSharpener_1_2.jpg

and a small name brand ViseGripe with wire cutter.
14565_R.jpg

More seriously, study and rehearse, ask questions when necessary but otherwise keep a low profile, and never miss the opportunity to bring cookies

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Quick. But hearing them in noisy situations has been a long debate here.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
How long did it take for you guys to consistently give accurate blood pressure readings after initially learning how to do it?

It doesn't take long. But like Mycrofft stated, it can be tricky in noisy backgrounds.

My suggestion as your first starting out, Go get yourself a BP cuff, and a stethoscope. You can honestly get one on the cheap. and practice on your friends your family, wife/hubby kids, anyone you can get a blood pressure on. and people of different sizes too. your thinner people your heavier people and aim for accuracy everytime. The more you do it the better you'll get at it.

I tend to get baseline vitals at the scene. This way I have a solid base to work with, Once you get good at getting BP's and such you can do it in less than a minute.

As far as being a newbie, don't be afraid to ask questions. If you are unsure of something you have a partner feel free to be humble enough to say ummm.. I am not comfortable, can you help. If you can't get a good assessment just say so. I much rather a tech that says OMG I'm a bit uncomfortable vs. trying to John Wayne it. If you struggle with a specific skill, or anything don't be afraid to ask the experienced providers. we get a lot of young EMTs and students at my organization I go over things with them, whether its BP's or Traction splints we all have our weak points. you only get better at something by practice..... Practicing it right.

OregonEMT

Forum Probie
Some of the best advice I got from my chief when I first started.

Keep your head down and do your job, stay completely out of the station drama.

Grown men acting like 15 year old gossip girls is more common than not.