Asians in EMS

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
you are right, he did say "asian", not "asian american", the OP might be a new immigrant looking to have some familiarity in his career.. nothing wrong with that ! :)

but

"Asian" is way too broad..

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Surely the diversity of EMS will depend on the diversity of the area. That said, different cultures view occupation choices differently.

As to the heckles of racism - why? Meh, as a mongrel who's lived, worked, and annoyed people in over 50 countries I'll quote Oscar Wilde:

"I'm not a bigot - I hate everybody equally"

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Surely the diversity of EMS will depend on the diversity of the area. That said, different cultures view occupation choices differently.

As to the heckles of racism - why? Meh, as a mongrel who's lived, worked, and annoyed people in over 50 countries I'll quote Oscar Wilde:

"I'm not a bigot - I hate everybody equally"

Diversity in EMS - De longer you verk here, de verse it gets.

OP
OP
H

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member
If the op is looking for friends strictly in his ethnicity then I feel sorry for him and hope the mods wouldn't support his pseudo racist endeavors. I bet you would find better friends if they shared other commonalities besides skin color.

Wow, that's some back-handed racism you're dealing out right there.

I'd venture to say I'm getting into the wrong profession if I was only concerned about "Asians like me". I'm intend and expect to be out there helping all walks, and as someone already pointed out, just looking at the population demographics of Virginia alone, I already know by probability my "clientele" will mostly not be Asian.

When did any and all discourse about race become racism just on principle?

A better question would be how many african american EMS workers are there in Chinese EMS. How many Jews are there in Chinese EMS? how many Hispanics are in Chinese EMS?

I bet if you find a community that is 10% asian, you probably have a 10% asian demographic in the EMS system.

Why would an african american be working EMS in China? :rolleyes: As Linuss pointed out, I think the word you were looking for was "black". Overdosing on PC is bad for your health. :rofl:

Somewhere in China a black guy might ask that very question and someone will say, "A better question would be how many Chinese American EMS workers are there in American EMS..." and that way neither of us gets a straight answer. Thanks a lot.

I'm curious about that bet, though. How are you going to find out if you won or lost if everyone accuses you of being racist and slams the virtual door in your face? I'm also curious as to whether you're right or not. 5.5% of Virginia's pop. is Asian so are there or aren't there a proportional number of Asians in this profession? I can't find any census-type data on that so I ask the wide audience I have found here.

Thanks, Aidey. You seem to be one of the few who actually grasped what I'm trying to ask here.

Finding other Asians isn't going to help him. Associating with good people will.

I've lived 22 years. I've already learned not to expect to be insta-buddies with anyone just because we have a shared ethnicity. Now that would be racist and you can call me out on that if I said it.

In addition, remember that I'll be entering as an EMT-B. You guys know as well as I won't be inundated with job offers so I don't know where you would get the idea that I'd even be capable of "searching out" Asian co-workers. I'm going to get what I'm gonna get.

As the leader in unanswered new threads I am an expert about dumb threads. This was not one. The error is in trying to marginalize people by calling their threads dumb.

OP, you read that EMS people tend to socialize with other EMS people. Not necessary, and healthy not to. People who tend to "live EMS" will tend to do that, and it can become destructive and inbred. Make sure your friends are part of the rest of the real world, and don't worry about who's toting the big scissors and stethoscope.

Thanks, mycrofft, I'll take that as a compliment.

At 22, this may surprise you to know but I've already made a couple friends, of various ethnicities, mind you, and I'm not picking this job because it is or isn't filled with my kind.

I'm in it for the girls and the money. :rofl:

So many people jumped to the conclusion that I "only want Asian friends" or "don't care to associate with white/black/hispanic co-workers, etc."
Again, I think you should all agree with me that I'm TOTALLY entering the wrong profession if I had that mind-set.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
On a tangent, the whole obsession in the states with x-American reminds me of a friend of mine. He was born and raised in Johannesburg, 3rd generation, and Caucasian.

Whenever he flew, he would tick "African" on ethnicity box because, you know, he was/is. Only in the states did they ever give him crap about this.

Bearing in mind that he's feisty to begin with, he once nearly got deported from a US airport for getting into a shouting match with an African American boarder guard who stated that he couldn't be African because he was white. I would have paid cash to watch that fight.

Vetitas86

Forum Lieutenant
+1 to being something I'd pay to see too. I don't need to get started on how little I care for all the PC gnarliness though. People are people. There are just cultural differences.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant

Yeah, I think my friend argued the following:

HIM: "Were you born in Africa"
HER: "No"
HIM: "Were your parents born in Africa?"
HIM: "How about your grandparents?"
HIM: "Well, mine all were, so how about you STFU?"

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yeah, I think my friend argued the following:

HIM: "Were you born in Africa"
HIM: "Were your parents born in Africa?"
HIM: "How about your grandparents?"
HIM: "Well, mine all were, so how about you STFU?"

Until he starts calling me a "North American American", he too, can "STFU".

Last edited by a moderator:

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
Until he starts calling me a "North American American", he too, can "STFU".

I know this is a joke, but in context of the story, he didn't care so much what the boarder guard was, more that he wasn't allowed to define himself by his own birthplace

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know this is a joke, but in context of the story, he didn't care so much what the boarder guard was, more that he wasn't allowed to define himself by his own birthplace

What joke? I didn't make a joke. I'm dead serious.

Anyone who calls me white, caucasian, or European American will be quickly and forcefully corrected to call me "North American American".

OP
OP
H

homingmissile

Forum Crew Member

Anyone who calls me white, caucasian, or European American will be quickly and forcefully corrected to call me "North American American".

But wouldn't you prefer United Statesian?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Homermissile (typo but I'lll leave the pun), it wasn't a compliment or having to do with culture/origin, just a generic pragmatic observation.
And thanks for not bringing up the whole "I'm Chinese, not Japanese" thing from my last reply!

Just to get needly with some of the others, at least here in Central Calif., some families came from China a hundred and fifty years ago or more. If we want to look at status by length of attendance, other than hispanic families and Native American (First Nations? Aboriginal Americans?), then some families from China (and some from Japan) have been here a very long time.

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant

Okay, fair enough I guess. No offense intended - I'm English so I don't really 'get' the x-American thing. I can see how it can be tricky to define oneself in a place like America where everyone bar Native Americans are immigrants of some form.

Weird though, as Australia comes to mind as a immigrant-formed country of a similar age as the states (give or take) but no one there calls themselves African-Australian or Irish-Australian. They always said "I'm Aussie mate!" ^_^

Now that I think of it though, it's incredibly hard to find a European who is a 'pure blood' of their country of birth - even the British royal family are of German decent for example.

I myself am a Nordic mongrel basically, but I've never met someone who would say they are x-English or x-French or whatever, unless it's somewhere contentious like Northern Ireland.

Interesting stuff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm 1/2 second-gen Anglo-Am

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Here in my section of hell, we have a pretty healthy asian population, and thus a pretty health asian involvement in EMS.

I can see the reason OP would ask this question as a minority, possibly trying to gain insight as to how race could affect his job prospects. Perhaps there is a heavy bias in a particular region

As a cheeky fellow myself, i check "Native American" on forms. I was born and raised in America, and this is my native country