Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I think comment is just a normal convention used for this type of article

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
1) I think you're over-analyzing

2) In a way I'm glad this is getting publicity because it will hopefully encourage and inspire people to help others (hopefully without the expectation of getting 15 minutes of fame for the deed). But part of me is saying come on, this is that big of a deal?.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
I find all of this very interesting because what this cop did is I think considered not just out of character for a NYPD officer but also out of character for a male officer in what is arguably one of the most hyper masculine professions. I wonder if this story would have gone viral if it had been a female officer giving the boots? Would we still be as suspicious if it had, been a female officer? If we would be less suspicious of a female officer why? Would it be as impressive if it had been a Female officer doing this? .

I'm mr. cynical, but I don't think this would have made the news (or certainly not THIS much news) had it been someone who wasn't a police officer.

"Hey look, not all police officers are terrible people!" :rofl:

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm mr. cynical, but I don't think this would have made the news (or certainly not THIS much news) had it been someone who wasn't a police officer.

"Hey look, not all police officers are terrible people!" :rofl:

Not even the slightest chance that it would make the news.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
We have plenty of younger aged LEOs in my department (early 20s) who still live with mom and dad. One of them comes to work with his dad, who is a senior LEO in our department. Both real good guys. They could move out on their own but why bother when you get along well with your parents and you're not married? A few of the them used to have their own apartments but then went back home. It used to be the thing to do but I guess the rules have changed. I moved out of the house when I was 18 but can see the value in going back home.

Things are very, very different now- especially if you live in New York. I live on Long Island and the few people I have known to move out before ~25 were broke and consequently not saving any money.

Any financially responsible person, provided there's no social issues going on, should stay home with their parents and save. Why, after becoming a police officer at 21 or whatever, would you immediately move out when you could save for a few years and buy a house instead?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Things are very, very different now- especially if you live in New York. I live on Long Island and the few people I have known to move out before ~25 were broke and consequently not saving any money.

Any financially responsible person, provided there's no social issues going on, should stay home with their parents and save. Why, after becoming a police officer at 21 or whatever, would you immediately move out when you could save for a few years and buy a house instead?

Fellow strong islander livin' at home age 23 checking in.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I really want to be believe such kindness does exist, especially from NYPD but everyone has their price. The kid has been all over the news here in NY as being a hero and all that stuff commenting for reporters on "I was just doing whats right etc etc"

If it was really done for the right reasons, I would think a "no comment" was more appropriate than an interview on how great he is.

Youth, wisdom, and humility are seldom combined.

I would give the kida break, he is probably very excited and proud to be a cop.

Cops catch a lot of $hit. Probably more than they actually deserve. (though sometimes they do earn it)

Even if by some manner it was staged and not overly spontaneous, the cops need all the PR they can get. Fire does a great jo with PR. Look how it benefits them.

EMS providers could probably learn a few lessons here.

I am just chalking it up to a young and determined newbie who wants to help people.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Youth, wisdom, and humility are seldom combined.

I would give the kida break, he is probably very excited and proud to be a cop.

Cops catch a lot of $hit. Probably more than they actually deserve. (though sometimes they do earn it)

Even if by some manner it was staged and not overly spontaneous, the cops need all the PR they can get. Fire does a great jo with PR. Look how it benefits them.

EMS providers could probably learn a few lessons here.

I am just chalking it up to a young and determined newbie who wants to help people.

+1

EMS could learn a huge lesson here. Firefighters march in parades, stand on street corners with a boot collecting donations, visit schools and sick children and what do they get for it? Respect, and money lots and lots of money. Until EMS learns the art of self promotion aka PR it will always take second seat to Fire and EMS when the money is doled out.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
+1

EMS could learn a huge lesson here. Firefighters march in parades, stand on street corners with a boot collecting donations, visit schools and sick children and what do they get for it? Respect, and money lots and lots of money. Until EMS learns the art of self promotion aka PR it will always take second seat to Fire and EMS when the money is doled out.

I would rather be the quiet progessional. Don't need the nonsense that comes with self promotion.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
1) many non-private EMS agencies do march in parades. they use taxpayer dollars to buy dress uniform and take (usually) a reserve piece to the parade to show off. All too often EMS doesn't have the spare trucks or budget to afford dress uniforms that aren't worn on a truck, or the higher ups won't justify paying for the fuel

2) many of those times they are collecting donations, they are either volunteer firefighters collecting to have money to put fuel in the trucks, on duty career or volunteer FFs collecting for a cause (who leave if an alarm comes in), or off duty career FFs (the rare ones). EMS to too busy to do that, because we are usually begging for operating money (the first one), or if the 2nd option, too busy because the truck will go on a call, and as for the 3rd one, many of our families don't want to us doing work related stuff after our 2nd job when we should spend time with them.

3) visiting schools and sick children. yes, we should be doing this. true, if you are in the 4th floor of a hospital, visiting sick kids and you get a call, someone will complain that your response time is too extended (running though the hall, waiting for the elevator, looking up the address, etc). But we should definitely visit schools more, if we can get the staff who aren't tied up on waiting EMS calls.

4) we need more PR staff. Big EMS agencies need a full time dedicated public information officer, small ones need a Part time PIO who dedicated 20 hours a week just to interactions with the public. We need more positive PR, more coordination with the media, more friends in the media, more media coverage of what we did, more action shots of EMS in action. I've been saying it for years, but most won't allocate funding for it, or refuse to see the value of a good PIO.

DrParasite

by the way, anyone else have a problem with a man who has been working in a (supposedly well paying) career for 3 years that is still living with his parents?

around here, a parents job is to raise you, and once you have a good paying job, kick you out so you get a place of your own and gain full independence.

most parents want their kids to succeed and be independent, and unless they are taking care of a sick relative, don't want them living with them.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
by the way, anyone else have a problem with a man who has been working in a (supposedly well paying) career for 3 years that is still living with his parents?

around here, a parents job is to raise you, and once you have a good paying job, kick you out so you get a place of your own and gain full independence.

most parents want their kids to succeed and be independent, and unless they are taking care of a sick relative, don't want them living with them.

I have a problem with someone that has a problem with it...

I've been with FDNY 4 years, I still live at home.

Are you going to give me the extra $80,000 I still need to put down on a house here on Long Island?

We are living in different economics times than the past. I work 2 jobs and make around $60,000 a year on my own and can't afford to "comfortably" move out.

Theres a difference between moving out because you want to act independant and being financially responsible. Why move into an apartment for $1300 a month and take 20 more years to save for a house when I could live at home and buy a house in 7 years? Owning property is an investment. Renting an apartment is a total loss.

Maybe your NJ model doesn't work so well considering the kids turn out like this... (yes I acknowledge the group depicted are in fact millionaires by chance of dumb luck)

jersey-shore-ratings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I have no problem with it. We are one of the few countries where children are pushed to move out immediately and we are a country who's citizens carry one of the highest personal debt loads in the world. I don't see this as a coincidence. I think NYMedic878 has it right. Stay home as long as you can handle it (within reason) and you'll be ahead of the game.

DrParasite

Maybe your NJ model doesn't work so well considering the kids turn out like this... (yes I acknowledge the group depicted are in fact millionaires by chance of dumb luck)

jersey-shore-ratings.jpg
well, considering all those pictures (with the exception of the one who was actually born and raise in New Jersey) are actually from NYC and not NJ, and just used the shore over the summer, i think your post puts NYers in a much poorer light than NJ people.

but thanks for playing :rolleyes:

btw, my overall income for this year is about the same as yours, and I own my home, and paid for it all by myself.....

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
well, considering all those pictures (with the exception of the one who was actually born and raise in New Jersey) are actually from NYC and not NJ, and just used the shore over the summer, i think your post puts NYers in a much poorer light than NJ people.

but thanks for playing :rolleyes:

:unsure: crap hes onto me.

Probably too soon, but still a good laugh in light of the sorrow.

New-Jersey-beach-before-vs-after-Sandy.jpg

eprex

Forum Lieutenant

I've already explained this but i'll do it again. Parents want their children to succeed and hopefully even pass their level of success (usually)

What's the quicker path to success: Moving out at 20 and spending 10's of thousands of dollars supporting yourself, or staying home for another 5 years and buying a house instead?

By all means, if the kid is staying home and doing nothing with their life because they have no motivation to fend for themselves, that's one thing. But this guy is financially on the right track. Besides maybe one of his parents is sick? Maybe they have crippling anxiety. You don't know

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
Oh and losers and ****ups are ubiquitous. Doesn't matter what state we're talking about.