• I think author is trying to add negative spin to story

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I think comment is just a normal convention used for this type of article

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Most of you have probably seen an article about the NYPD officer who bought boots for a homeless man. I ran across the following article and noticed the line "DePrimo, a three-year veteran of the department who lives with his parents on Long Island" and it struck me as odd. I know it's common for articles like this to say so and so lives in xyz with his wife and two children but something about specifically saying this officer lives with his parents seemed to ring odd to me. It makes me think the author is trying to say look this guy did something that was really nice but come on he still lives with his parents.

So I'm curious what everyone's take on this article is. Am I just being overly sensitive and over analyzing this thing?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nypd-boots-homeless-man-photo-145219581.html

I'm going to include a poll with a couple of questions but I would very much like to hear everyone's opinion on this.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Fixed poll

Last edited by a moderator:

leoemt

Forum Captain
Its actually common for NYPD officers to live with parents. Its not something the author should have mentioned.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Ehhh, since he is 25, I'm not sure it has a spin either way. If he was 40 I might wonder if they were trying to spin something. Unless it was "DePrimo, a 3 year veteran, lives with his elderly parents and wife on Long Island". Does that make sense?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If you hadn't have mentioned it I would have glanced right over it. But now that it's been brought out I would agree that it's a bit negative, though not too bad and I don't know if it was intentional!

Either way, awesome story. That officer did something very kind for that man.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
I am 23, I live at home with my parents and work as a paramedic for FDNY.

My pay and that officers pay considering you can't be hired until atleast age 21, are probably similar.

At top pay he will make 100k. But he is probably a few years off of that.

In this region, I cannot afford to move out unless I make sacrifices that I don't feel like making. (I'm saving for a house as much as I can now)

Its not uncommon around here to live at home until mid to late 20s.

Side note, I was speaking with my officer friends today and they can't decide if its real or staged. It seems a bit too good to be true that a 25 year old officer who makes just enough to support himself is going to randomly drop $100 on a homeless man outside of a shoe store. The amount of homeless people in the NYC region is astronomical. Why on this day, did he decide that this random gentleman is going to be the recipient of not just a pair of sneakers, but a pair of $100 boots.

If its real, amazing, I wish the world was like that every day. But I have trouble believing it, more so in NYC.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Just to be clear I am in no way judging him for the fact that he lives with his parents. I moved back in with my parents about the same age. I'm just interested in the authors reason for including this seemingly irrelevant info in the report.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Now, if it said he was living with a Victoria's Secret model....

OfficerEvenEMT

Forum Crew Member
We have plenty of younger aged LEOs in my department (early 20s) who still live with mom and dad. One of them comes to work with his dad, who is a senior LEO in our department. Both real good guys. They could move out on their own but why bother when you get along well with your parents and you're not married? A few of the them used to have their own apartments but then went back home. It used to be the thing to do but I guess the rules have changed. I moved out of the house when I was 18 but can see the value in going back home.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

We have plenty of younger aged LEOs in my department (early 20s) who still live with mom and dad. One of them comes to work with his dad, who is a senior LEO in our department. Both real good guys. They could move out on their own but why bother when you get along well with your parents and you're not married? A few of the them used to have their own apartments but then went back home. It used to be the thing to do but I guess the rules have changed. I moved out of the house when I was 18 but can see the value in going back home.

Again I am totally on board with the moving back home thing especially these days. My question is strictly on the comment regarding living with his parents. I have known people to use the term "he lives with his parents" as a veiled way of saying a person is gay or at least a bit odd. Just make me think

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I'm headed to bed you guys remind me of poll tomorrow.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I think it is normal.

Where I live in Europe most people don't move out from their parents until they are married.

Even where I am from in the states it is economically difficult to move out without a partner like a roomate or significant other. Particularl if you do not have a highly skilled or educated job.

It is not uncommon to see those divorced forced to move back in with their parents.

From the perspective of the article, I don't think it was positive or negative. It was a young man doing something nice for somebody who is just starting his career.

Nothing to look into too deep.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I think it is normal.

Where I live in Europe most people don't move out from their parents until they are married.

Even where I am from in the states it is economically difficult to move out without a partner like a roomate or significant other. Particularl if you do not have a highly skilled or educated job.

It is not uncommon to see those divorced forced to move back in with their parents.

From the perspective of the article, I don't think it was positive or negative. It was a young man doing something nice for somebody who is just starting his career.

Nothing to look into too deep.

So author was from your neck of woods maybe?

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
That's pretty nice of the guy to give the homeless dude some shoes, not sure why he picked that one guy in particular but I guess I'm no authority on this since homeless people are pretty rare here; the window washers are beginning to hit major intersections and there are a few creative beggers in the CBD.

If this guy is concerned about house pricing, try getting a house anywhere in the greater Auckland metropolitan area for under a half million dollars; not gonna happen and anything that cheap has probably been condemned by the Council as being unfit for human habitation.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Northeast US.

He was in NYC wasn't he?

Yep.

That's pretty nice of the guy to give the homeless dude some shoes, not sure why he picked that one guy in particular but I guess I'm no authority on this since homeless people are pretty rare here; the window washers are beginning to hit major intersections and there are a few creative beggers in the CBD.

If this guy is concerned about house pricing, try getting a house anywhere in the greater Auckland metropolitan area for under a half million dollars; not gonna happen and anything that cheap has probably been condemned by the Council as being unfit for human habitation.

Homeless people are very common here. 9/10 times they aren't homeless because they can't find a job either. The bolded is why I am skeptical as to the actions being legitimate and not pre-planned.

Like I said, if his actions were real, then god bless him. But I find it hard to believe. (Which is unfortunate)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Yep.

Homeless people are very common here. 9/10 times they aren't homeless because they can't find a job either. The bolded is why I am skeptical as to the actions being legitimate and not pre-planned.

Like I said, if his actions were real, then god bless him. But I find it hard to believe. (Which is unfortunate)

Maybe he had several prior interactions with that particular gentleman and developed a rapport with him?

Maybe the homeless man provided information or some other lead?

I don't think it matters.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe he had several prior interactions with that particular gentleman and developed a rapport with him?

Maybe the homeless man provided information or some other lead?

I don't think it matters.

I really want to be believe such kindness does exist, especially from NYPD but everyone has their price. The kid has been all over the news here in NY as being a hero and all that stuff commenting for reporters on "I was just doing whats right etc etc"

If it was really done for the right reasons, I would think a "no comment" was more appropriate than an interview on how great he is.

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

I find all of this very interesting because what this cop did is I think considered not just out of character for a NYPD officer but also out of character for a male officer in what is arguably one of the most hyper masculine professions. I wonder if this story would have gone viral if it had been a female officer giving the boots? Would we still be as suspicious if it had, been a female officer? If we would be less suspicious of a female officer why? Would it be as impressive if it had been a Female officer doing this? .

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I really want to be believe such kindness does exist, especially from NYPD but everyone has their price. The kid has been all over the news here in NY as being a hero and all that stuff commenting for reporters on "I was just doing whats right etc etc"

If it was really done for the right reasons, I would think a "no comment" was more appropriate than an interview on how great he is.

I don't see anything wrong with saying something "I was just doing whats right etc etc" is more than acceptable. I would bet that the NYPD may have encouraged him to talk the to the press a little bit to try and stretch the good publicity, something that every police department wants.