Armstrong ambulance Mass protocol exam

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
I have an exam involving mass protocols with Armstrong. Its 40 questions. If I pass I get an interview. I've been studying the emt-b protocols and its pretty much the same, ABC's scene safety, keeping an open airway etc. I don't know what to study or really focus on since everything seems the same, I know its not but has anyone taken it? Any pointers. I have no EMS experience but I've been an ER tech in the hospital for a year now. Passing the protocol exam doesn't mean ill be in employed, I'm dying to work on a truck.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The Armstrong exam is easy, if you have common sense. Consider reviewing the state protocols, knowing more than just the initial steps, but also whats standing order v med con, understanding the bls expanded scope skills (bgl, albuterol nebs, narcan).

I honestly think if you have half a brain, you have nothing to worry about. Armstrong is a good company, good luck with the Interview.

OP
OP
CobraIV

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
I believe I do have a brain but still I read the protocol book the tenth edition cant help feel like I am missing something. I understand standing orders vs med control but ive heard sone companies get waivers for certain meds. Anyways thanks for the info.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I believe I do have a brain but still I read the protocol book the tenth edition cant help feel like I am missing something. I understand standing orders vs med control but ive heard sone companies get waivers for certain meds. Anyways thanks for the info.

Not sure what armstrong has on its waivers...but no one would expect you to know the individual company waivers on a pre-hire.

Action and Cataldo had waivers, but I've never heard them use that as part of the hiring process.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

No matter the company, it serves you well to understand the possible meds or procedures that could exist under a waiver or have recently been updated. Essentially, I recommend knowing:

-- Naloxone IN
-- Albuterol nebulizer
-- BLS BGL (Glucometry)
-- Worth understanding post-ROSC cooling
-- Nerve Agent attack treatment (Mark1 Kit)
-- Cessation of resuscitation (CC/DNR/MOLST-MA, etc)

Any service with 911 contracts is likely transitioning to placing these meds on all BLS trucks, so whether you learn it now or later, it doesn't matter... but it will impress HR or supervisory staff to walk in the door prepared.

Good luck!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
To add to Dan's list of things to know, understand ALS assist skills. The 911 companies, Armstrong included, are running you through that class pretty much as soon as you're hired and expect you to need it.

No matter the company, it serves you well to understand the possible meds or procedures that could exist under a waiver or have recently been updated. Essentially, I recommend knowing:

-- Naloxone IN
-- Albuterol nebulizer
-- BLS BGL (Glucometry)
-- Worth understanding post-ROSC cooling
-- Nerve Agent attack treatment (Mark1 Kit)
-- Cessation of resuscitation (CC/DNR/MOLST-MA, etc)

Any service with 911 contracts is likely transitioning to placing these meds on all BLS trucks, so whether you learn it now or later, it doesn't matter... but it will impress HR or supervisory staff to walk in the door prepared.

Good luck!
Funny, my employer "transitioned" their Mark Is off the trucks when the grants disappeared and has been blowing smoke about Narcan, glucometry, and, for that matter, pulse oximetry on all BLS trucks for several years now. Albuterol was never even on the table (nor should it be, in metro Boston).