Armoured Ambulance (SA)

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
OK. I FINALLY got a few pics of one of our armoured ambulances. This one is the Mfesi, I was coming off an ER shift at Johannesburg Hospital, and I saw it on the accessory Heli-Pad.

We use them for the Townships when there is unhappiness among the people. You can fit 5 patients comfortably in there, but there allways goes in more.:ph34r:

Im glad i never had to clean the thing.:sad:

I apologise for being like absent the last while, I don't have any free time, and I only have internet at home. But regards anyway!!!:p

1309456560_l.jpg

1309455270_l.jpg

1309450220_l.jpg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow.. that is hardcore... Can I drive it?

Welcome back, Rangat!.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
I want to work there!!!! I have loads of experience and a good resume!!!!!! Call now!!!!!

Egg

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Rangat,

It's great to see you posting again! I'll take five of those please. How is school going?

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
WHAT??? You do not want to work in that thing. Maybe a few times, but thats stressful man.

Then again here it's on a volentary basis as well.

Look. I really want to create an exchange program. Like, you guys can come here, see 7 chest drains a night, intubate just as many times, etc, and we can go there for your toys and other exposure...

Class is going great. we lost more people, but it is soooo interesting. I does take up every last bit of my time, and its worth it.

Hey, perhaps we can make it an interuniversity thing, the exchange program, like, University of Johannesburg VS (US Paramedic school).

And also between some agencies, etc.

But ya. let me know what you guys think...
ok, gone for a week or so.
REGARDS!

Summit

Critical Crazy
So what kind of rounds will the armor stop? 7.62? .50? biggger? What kind of blast overpressure can it take?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Is Hartford really that bad? :p We need one out here first. Oakland is already up to 123 homicides this year alone. ;-)

Probably not, but people would sure as hell get out of your way when they see that monster coming!!!

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Uhm... According to the South African Police Service, my province (one out of nine) "Gauteng" has +- 8.8 million people with 3650 murders per year.

Most of this is probably shootings and stabbings. But the armoured ambulance is only used like once every 2 months, like, whenever the people in a township are slaughtering each other.

Its a modified military vehicle, has a V-shaped belly to withstand vehicle land mines, and will stop any hand held weapon (we have a LOT of AK47's-> and lovely Russia to thank for that one:wacko: ), except like an armour piercing RPG or so. You can however take out the rotators:unsure: .

Hehe

ok. tata:p

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
What a ride!!

DAM! that is one tight ambulance!! no kidding that would be suited in Oakland Ca. Do you also have to wear body armor? Can you image that going thru Starbucks!!! take care and be safe :)

Summit

Critical Crazy

Summit

Critical Crazy

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Rangat - Excelent point regarding the AK-47.

I know we discussed this before, but what sort of armor do you guys wear? is it ceramic plates, or are you praying they don't have rifles?

OP
OP
Rangat

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Uhm. Armour varies greatly. The most common armour by far is Kevlar, with ceramic, but there are newer materials slowly taking over like this new Gel-like substance that solidifies on impact, and a normal T-shirt protecting against low velocity rounds etc. Im not really sure...

Most ALS ive worked with have a battle vest in the car, but if you should wear it, you shouldn't be, there i think.