Arizona Paramedic Opportunities

NJmedic3250

Forum Crew Member
Hello everyone. I am looking at moving to the Maricopa County area in AZ at the end of the year. I am a paramedic with 7 years experience (2 ALS 5 BLS). Anyone have any suggestions or advice relating to jobs? Please get back to me. Thanks

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
PMT Ambulance and Southwest Ambulance are the two agencies there. I'd apply to both, but I'd recommend Southwest slightly over PMT. The pay is a bit better and the company's run a bit better, but at the end of the day both kind of suck. Unless you're on a fire department, the whole EMS system in the Phoenix area isn't the greatest to work for but it's a job. Also, even with all your experience, because you're new to the company you'll still very,very likely be put on a General Transport/Interfacility ride. Both companies are pretty much constantly hiring, especially for medics.

OP
OP
NJmedic3250

NJmedic3250

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at both agencies and have heard of the stigmas that private ambulance companies carry. Are there any fixed wing aeromedical transport gigs out there?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I have been looking at both agencies and have heard of the stigmas that private ambulance companies carry.
Do you want a job or not? There are very few choices anywhere in AZ. EMS there is even worse than California. Darn few states have that distinction.

Privates, hospital based, and even third services are always going to have "stigmas" as long as fire departments run the show, as they do in AZ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
OmniFlight is one, AeroCare is another, and there's also Native Air. They also use helicopters extensively there. There are more choppers in use per capita in Maricopa County than anywhere else in the country.

As for the stigma...you're going to find that just about anywhere. Thing is, unless you're with fire, EVERYONE works for one of the two companies so it's not like you're singled out or something. It's not the greatest of situations but it's a job and it's not terrible, it's just not the greatest. If hospitals are your thing there are a couple that hire paramedics in the ER but that's not utilized much in the Valley. EMS there ain't great, but it's a job if you're moving there either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NJmedic3250

NJmedic3250

Forum Crew Member
OmniFlight is one, AeroCare is another, and there's also Native Air. They also use helicopters extensively there. There are more choppers in use per capita in Maricopa County than anywhere else in the country.

As for the stigma...you're going to find that just about anywhere. Thing is, unless you're with fire, EVERYONE works for one of the two companies so it's not like you're singled out or something. It's not the greatest of situations but it's a job and it's not terrible, it's just not the greatest. If hospitals are your thing there are a couple that hire paramedics in the ER but that's not utilized much in the Valley. EMS there ain't great, but it's a job if you're moving there either way.

Iceman, thanks for the input. I will hunt around starting with the companies you listed. Thanks again.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
Be aware that flight is dominated by nurses in AZ by state law. Their scope of practice far exceeds that of medics in that state. Consequently, medic jobs are nowhere near plentiful, even though helicopters are.

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
Be aware that flight is dominated by nurses in AZ by state law. Their scope of practice far exceeds that of medics in that state. Consequently, medic jobs are nowhere near plentiful, even though helicopters are.

This is true. Every flight does have a medic on it, be it fixed wing or helicopter, but the RN is the lead and ultimately in charge.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Usually the number of positions is similar, you just see far less turnover and far more applicants for the medic spots.

OP
OP
NJmedic3250

NJmedic3250

Forum Crew Member
All sounds extremely discouraging. Haha. Thankfully this is just going to be a short term living arrangement. Sucks to leave a good job for a not so great one... Thanks for the info though.