Arizona employment

travisejo

Forum Ride Along
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone with PMT or Southwest ambulance could tell me their starting salary now a days and the difficulty of getting on with them. I'm currently working as a diesel mechanic but being an EMT has always been a dream of mine but financials is a worry of mine due to having a family and other bills. I would plan on going back to school to follow up with paramedic school after getting some experience as a EMT

Mellowdnb

Forum Probie
I'm not sure what the pay is but most Private Ambulance Services pay EMT B around 10-12 bucks an hour. Look to see if they will sponsor you & pay for the EMT course & Paramedic School. You do have to sign a contract with most companies that do this.

Be careful with those contracts. Many will have you pay the tuition if you leave. I'm not sure what would happen if the company lost the contract with the city. They might have you pay the tuition back even though the company is no longer in operation.

The FD is something to consider, if they run EMS. Most places require you to have an EMT B before applying. Some require Paramedic.

Good luck with your journey! I would still take the course, even if you can't take a pay cut to work as an EMT. It is good to know what to do for emergencies. A first Aid course is good idea too if you don't have the funds for EMT B.

Keep us updated with your progress!