Are you a hard azz?

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Ever have to put someone you work with in their place?

I sometimes have to partner with an EMR (EMT in US) that is incompetent. I've had to report her 3 times to our unit chief now and I hate that I seem to be the only one doing it. I've heard that others have their issues with her as well, and I KNOW fire rescue hates her, but I seem to be the only one doing anything about it.

The first time I tried to talk to her about how she really messed up a trauma call in an open and understanding way, but she thinks she's hot :censored::censored::censored::censored:e and she argued with me about the whole thing. I spoke to my U/C about the call and she agreed that it was messed up and she would work with this EMR to come up to speed. But it only continues....I stopped trying after that first call to help her since she won't listen and just gets defensive. Besides, it isn't my place to re-educate my peers.

It's hard to do because I don't want to sound like a whiny snitch, but I can't stand her making huge mistakes that can be very harmful to my patients (we've been lucky she hasn't) so I don't feel I have a lot of choice. I'm a little dismayed that others are just looking the other way too.

My U/C is awesome and she's assured me that she is now going to deal with this situation one way or the other.

However, I know that I'm going to look like a whistle-blower to my peers and they are going to be hesitant to work with me for fear I'll write them up for making little mistakes....and we all know that in the world of emergency response, little mistakes happen on nearly every call. I don't care about those as long as I know my partners are doing what they were taught or know best....it's the negligent mistakes that bother me, and the people that won't accept help or advice on improving themselves.

I had to go through a lot of critism and advice to get to where I am, and I will get more as I go....so why should I have to allow someone else to work under my medical license that won't do the same because they aren't in school anymore?

JPINFV

Gadfly
To be honest, I don't think reporting gross mistakes makes anyone a hardarse. Minor errors and problems, sure, approach the partner. On the other hand, if it's something incredible stupid or a continuous trend then I don't think that a partner gets the right for a private chit chat about it. We're adults, period. I have a very low tolerance for stupidity and immaturity. Ignorance, on the other hand, can be fixed.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Sounds to me that you have two issues. 1) .concerns about her ability to provide an acceptable level of care. 2). a compatability issue with working and getting along.

As the highest level provider on the unit you are incharge of pt care. If she won't toe the line you have an obligation to report her to your supervisor. Personally I feel you did the right thing in discussing your concerns with her face to face first. As that appears to have gotten you nowhere you have to take it up the line. Your supervisor now has to deal with it,(thats why they get the big bucks). This should help you with the compatibility issue as well. As you have voiced concerns she or you may feel the other one is out to get the other. This should be enough to keep you apart as partners. I know it works that way here. If the others at your base feel as you but won't do anything about it. Then they should expect to have her more often for a partner. The others should understand that you are protecting yourself and don't have issues with them.

I don't think you are being a hard azz. I've been there too.